Thursday, November 29, 2018

Soldering On

It turns out super glue is not the way to fix a broken rifle on a Britain's figure.

Now, don't get me wrong, I thought it worked, but when I went to move the figure (well over 24 hours later), the broken bit just fell off again. Subsequent attempts failed, even after doing my best to scrape off the dried glue and some paint.

Somewhere deep in the recesses of my brain I recalled someone somewhere on a blog mentioning solder.

I don't recall the exact context but to that person I say thank you!

I pulled out my soldering gear (I usually use it for quick and poor repairs of my effects pedals and such for guitar) and after much swearing and gnashing of teeth (I really need one of those third-hand tools) voila:
Badly soldered but repaired broken rifle.


OK, pretty it is not, but it is a strong repair - both the rifle bit and where the strap attaches to the leg.

Here it is after a touch up of the paint and the figures (this one and the one with the broken strap that I did manage to repair with glue):

A fire team. A squad. A platoon. Whatever you want to call three figures on a base that's arguably too small for them.
Close enough for government work, as they say.

And just for giggles, these plastic pre-paints arrived last night:

These are not the droids you are looking for.
I have been eyeing this Jawa pack for a few years now (seriously), mostly because I love R5D4. If that's NOT R5D4 being used as a horse, I don't want to know.

CTS is having a sale on the long since discontinued Star Wars Unleashed Battle Packs - said to be 1/32-ish - and since I was ordering stuff from them for their Black Friday sale, I thought I owed it to myself to get these.

I plan to acquire Sand Troopers for a little payback scenario (Jawas: The Revenge) - hopefully from Santa or my own rather depleted hobby budget (thanks to the AiP sale):

Image found on Internet. It's available from a bunch of t-shirt sites.

3 comments:

  1. Solder is the superior way to go if you have the kit and skill, I'd have been forced to resort to drilling out the rifle and pinning it.

    Love the Jawas and Droids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about drilling and pinning after the glue failed, but I could only find the bits, not the drill. Even so, I'm not sure I have the skill / steady hand required to drill the thin broken rifle piece.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. Will surely going to share this URL with my friends. best soldering iron for stained glass

    ReplyDelete