Saturday, January 19, 2019

April 9th: Skirmish Inspiration

I watched "April 9th" last night; I had not heard of it before but Amazon Prime put it in my "Recommended for You" list.

Sometimes I question their algorithm, but this one they got right:


From the youtube description: "In the early morning of April 9th 1940 the Danish army is alerted. The Germans have crossed the border; Denmark is at war against Europe's strongest army. In Southern Jutland Danish bicycle- and motorcycle companies are ordered out, to against all odds, hold back the forces until the Danish reinforcements can be mobilized."

It may quite possibly be one of my favorite movies set during WWII of all-time. It is certainly near the top if not the very top.

It is also full of inspiration for small scale wargaming encounters - even a mini-campaign of the kind suggested in One Hour Skirmish Wargames where you follow a single squad/platoon from one decision point on the map to the next in a limited geographic area. In this case, you could follow a squad of cyclist infantry as they try to hold back the German advance, and undoubtedly have to fall back to different defensive positions.

I really wish I had some Danish bicycle troop figures and early German armor.

There isn't anything in 54mm that I can find, at least readily, but it looks like Early War Miniatures has suitable figures, albeit in 20mm.

For more historical background, check out this fantastic PDF with wonderful illustrations and maps.

8 comments:

  1. The WWII rules Tac had a scenario booklet which condense the Denmark Campaign to a single table , bathtubbing units accordingly. It was an excellent scenario, with the outnumbered and outclassed Danes having various interesting victory conditions to achieve before the German steam-roller went over the top of them and they were forced to surrender.

    No help for skirmish games, but the only time I've seen it covered in a wargame. i adapted it as Memoir '44 scenario, although it's not that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Kaptain Kobold! I'm not familiar with Tac. Do you happen to recall who published them?

      Delete
  2. Brilliant PDF thanks for that. I think you could get away with using Russian infantry (especially in greatcoats) suitably painted as the Danes. Bicycles are always a problem though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PDF was quite a surprise find. I think you may be right about the Russians in greatcoats. I have a handful and they just about look the part save for the helmets. I've seen bicycles in 54mm but they were racing bikes, intended as cake toppers I believe, for Tour de France parties.

      Delete
  3. There are others http://syrhobbswargames.com/ocart2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=697
    German WW2 54mm less of a problem, even down to early tanks and motorcycle combinations.
    The tricky problem is the Danish helmet WW2, the bicycles and the overcoats in 54mm. Converted Soviets might be a stopgap?
    In some ways 20 mm early war miniatures or others might be better because of the speed firing and movement distances covered by mobile infantry on bicycles motorbike combinations and early light tanks / armoured cars. New blog called 20mm or Fight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ManofTin! I think converting Soviets in great coats could work, but you're right - for showing the speed and movement of mobile infantry, actually having the troops on bicycles would work better, and that would have to be 28mm or smaller unless I'm playing on a much larger surface than usual. Besides, dismounted, they wouldn't be much different than my other troops in most of my games (which don't often feature national differences).

      Delete
  4. HAt has 1/72nd cyclists for several WWI and WWII armies. Not WWII Danish but close enough to use for similar scenarios.

    There are some 1/35th kits hat have bicycles but fiddly and fragile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! Assembling a 1/35 bicycle sounds like a special kind of torture, especially knowing I'd likely have to glue individual spokes or something like that.

      Looking at the Hat offerings, I did not realize there were Japanse bicycle troops. I have a 1:1 platoon of Japanese infantry in 1/72 already so perhaps I could use those to supplement my existing force.

      Delete