Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Re-basing Update

I finally started re-basing my 54mm WWII infantry on Litko bases, with magnetic sheet attached, to allow for a completely non-committal basing scheme,

It is most definitely time-consuming and somewhat tedious.

(Mostly) Matchbox Germans and a mix of Airfix and Supreme (Italeri clone) Soviets.

Being able to fit so many figures into a single case is pretty exciting.

Figures stuck to galvanized steel sheet. Yay! Science!

Unfortunately, I got carried away basing the Soviets, who haven't even been out on the table in 3 or 4 years and weren't part of my original calculation for my order from Litko, and I also failed to account for mounting the prone two-person German and Soviet LMG teams on 4 bases each (2 per figure), so I'm going to need to order more bases. 

For some reason I ordered 25mm x 40mm bases for my original order. I probably should have ordered 1" x 1.5" so, for consistency and to avoid having to redo all of the figures I have done already, I'll stick with the 25mm x 40mm.

The other "problem" is that it's been so long since I painted a WWII infantry figure, I forgot what color green I used on the US bases - an attempt to match my Britain's Big Red One figure bases - which is the color I want to use now on all of them for a semblance of consistency.

I think it was Vallejo German Camo Dark Green, and it doesn't look too far off, so that's what I'm going with.

2 comments:

  1. Consistency is dull!

    However looks like a good choice of basing system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am consistent in my inconsistency!

      It seems like a good system for now, but I'm already having my doubts and I haven't even finished. I do like how much less space is required for storage, but we'll see how I feel when games take that much longer to set up because I have to put multiple figures on their stands.

      Delete