Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Christmas Bounty

This post comes to you live from the frigid lands of Western New York. My son and I are here to visit my parents for a few days - a belated Christmas and New Year's celebration.

Although they had sent most of his gifts to our house so he could open them Christmas morning, mine were here waiting under their tree:


 A nice little haul of titles from my "to read" list. 

One-Hour Skirmish Wargames was a late addition to my list, but Dale's posts over at  daleswargames.blogspot.com have piqued my curiosity about the system.

There was also a nice bit of currency to spend how I please that will go to purchasing a starter Bolt Action force. I may also pick up some plywood so I can play 4' x 4' games on the kitchen table - I would like to grid one side for some Portable Wargame fun.

And now with everyone in bed and the house quiet, I'm about to grab some olives and bruschetta and settle in and do a little reading.

10 comments:

  1. The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front, 1915-1919 (Paperback 2009)
    by Mark Thompson is an interesting read too. There are some books about the British involvement late on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The White War is the first (and so far, only) book on the subject I read - well, listened to. It lead to a whole side tangent exploring Italian Futurism. I think I might need to pick up a print copy. If I recall there were a number of actions described that might make good scenarios. I will have to look into the British involvement. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Nice!
    Rommel's "Infantry Attacks" has a whole section about his battles in Italy during WWI. I'm sure it is excellent altho I only read the first part about the Western Front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been on my "to read" list for awhile but I did not know anything about the contents. Looks like I'll be picking up a copy ASAP. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. One Hour Skirmish Wargames is one I`ve looked at for a while now.. shall I, shouldn`t I? (I always come to the conclusion I own enough rule books as it is hehe). Nice haul Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Hour Skirmish Wargames may not ultimately be as widely celebrated as One Hour Wargames but I think the author's design notes and the campaign chapter (itself not ground breaking, but I'm a sucker for those kinds of things) are worth the read at the very least. It's a shame it's not available in an e-format for reduced price and, more importantly, for saving space on the already overstuffed gaming book shelves.

      Delete
  4. I've been on the fence about getting both One-Hour Wargames and One-Hour Skirmish Wargames. Your mentioning it here -- and Dale's excellent and exhaustive look at the game -- inspired me to get One Hour Skirmish Wargames. I have a host of (unpainted) 54mm Armies in Plastic minis I want to use to try the game, maybe some French Indian War action. Thanks for putting the game and Dale's reviews on my interwebzes radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Peter! Dale's in-depth review really does a great job of explaining the game. I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

      Delete