Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas Table Preview

My full focus hobby-wise for the next few days is my Christmas scenario.

Today, I took a moment to do a test layout of the table to see how far off my sketches were from reality. 

88mm AA gun - is that the one that brought Santa's sleigh down?

Overview of the entire table. Santa's sleigh will be in the village square under MG protection in the actual event.

I'm not sold on the purple "church". That one is handmade and can fit an MG crew in an elevated position under the roof. The one that came with the set that the other buildings came from is shorter, but has a better look to it and like those buildings, has vellum windows for use with an LED tea candle.

I'll ruminate on that.

I did find that for those buildings - all pre-cut cardstock - that I could opt to not assemble the roof structures and therefore figures can be placed inside. Glorious!

The only "problem" I encountered was the white blanket being significantly shorter than I realized. It just barely covers the 4' x 4' table. That meant I couldn't let it bunch and wrinkle for snow drift effect as much as I hoped.  Fortunately, it's very fuzzy as can be seen there, and there are definitely some drifts.

I have some Buffalo Snow (cotton and glitter mix I found at Michael's, a craft store chain here in the US) that I may sprinkle around on the day of the game. 

I also found I don't have enough road pieces make an X from the corners, but no matter, as dragging my fingers through the pile of the blanket leaves an appearance of a snow covered road. Well, to my eyes at least!

Overall, I'm pleased with the Christmas village on grandma's side-table vibe I'm getting from it. Tonight I play test with some of the factions I've set up for the players to use to see just how badly overpowered I've made them in the name of light-hearted fun.

12 comments:

  1. Looks good John - the purple is different! There used to be a TV Home Renovation show in the UK called Changing Rooms that went in for Purple a great deal - the church reminded me of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit the purple is growing on me - as is the fact that I can more easily show the players that the MG crew is firing down from an elevated position.

      I used to be obsessed with home renovation shows. I love the idea of it. Not the actual doing, which is why I rent an apartment!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! I'm pretty pleased. I may throw in a few little things (like Britain's stone wall section) and LED tea lights in the buildings, but this close to what the actual table will likely look like.

      Delete
  3. Looks great - especially the ‘snow’ and of course the 88! And an Airfix bridge too. Festive delights indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim! I hope the players enjoy at least the look of the thing, if not the game itself (ideally, they will enjoy both!)

      Delete
  4. It looks great John! If you need drifts, stop at the drug store and get a bag of the big cotton balls. They're cheap and can be pulled and twisted into lots of shapes. Have a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! That's a great idea. In fact, that reminds me I have a bag of cotton batting that I use for smoke that would work for this purpose.

      Delete
  5. John, I've no plans to try and attempt a snow scenario, but I love the look of your setup, looking at the photos, I actually wanted to put a coat on! Some nice items too, such as the 88mm. Best wishes for Christmas.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. A merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  6. This looks like a lot of fun, John. Can't wait to read your after-action report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I hope the players enjoy it!

      Delete