Monday, September 19, 2022

Expansion Continues

Upon return home from my road trip (the subject of a future post), some additional acquisitions were waiting for me.

First up, four more Britain's Cossack figures - bringing my total for my "Great Game Gone Hot" Russians to eight. Of course, the Russian enclave on Venus has no doubt sent along some Cosscacks to deal with the Venusian inhabitants and to keep both the British and French in check.

 To my surprise, I won an eBay auction for them and managed to spend less than $50 USD shipped. The officer may have had their horse painted? It's very flat white. I don't really care - just noting for the purists out there.

They will make my Russians more mobile than my British, which will allow for some differentiation between two otherwise identically constructed forces. I really should look for some French cavalry.

Perhaps more importantly, to me at least, they put me within reach of being able to field the "Russia 1812" scenario  in Stuart Asquith's Guide to Solo Wargaming. I've done very little reading on the Napoleonic era, but what I did to was focused on 1812 and the attempted invasion of Russia. I have long wanted to do some sort of game around the French retreat.

Asquith's scenario is small (12 figures a side), and while I don't have 12 Cossack cavalry suggested, 8 is close enough. Eventually, I'll acquire some French, and finally scratch that itch perhaps. Perhaps I'll win another auction someday and reach the 12 Cossack cavalry suggested.

Additionally, two books I had ordered prior to departing arrived.

Unsurprisingly, they are titles to support my interest in the Italian Front in WWI. Both of these have been on my "want list"for several years, and while shopping for books for my trip, I found that they could be had for less than previously priced. Unfortunately, they would not arrive anytime close to my departure (indeed, they arrived just before my return).

I have only flipped through each at this point but both contain substantial numbers of photographs which are making it more possible for me to picture the fighting on that front.

Although part of the Images of War series, Sopwith Camels Over Italy 1917-1918, contains a good bit of text to support the many photos of pilots and their flying machines. There is very little in English on the air war over the Italian Front, so this is a valuable addition to my library for that alone. It also happens to line up with my interest in the wider War and justifies my acquisition of a Sopwith Camel for my planned British force for 1918 Italy. 

The First World War in the Alps has far more photos than I realized - many depicting life in the trenches as well as combat. With an unblinking eye, the horrors of war are on sometimes gruesome display within. And while I find it fascinating, the chapter on the recovery of an Austrian soldier, frozen and preserved in the ice many decades after the Great War ended, is a little too well-supported by pictures for my squeamish self.

So, while I'll probably hurry passed certain photos in the book, overall it's a welcome resource with images not contained in any of the other sources I have read.


6 comments:

  1. You were lucky to get them in such nice condition. It's hard to tell if figures are repainted if they are done well. Actually, anyone wanting to repaint figures to look original would, to some extent, need to 'paint badly' as original paintwork was done to a limited standard to keep prices down.
    However, if a figure is really lacking most or even some of its paint a repaint, done nicely, often makes the figure worth more than it was without the paintwork. That might not apply in especially rare figures.

    One thing people forget is that those buying figures for nostalgic reasons and not wanting touchup work are, due to their age, falling off their perches and those who grew up with hollowcasts are a diminishing group. The same will happen with those who mostly knew plastic figures and the market for figures consequently declines.

    The next wave of nostalgic figures that become much sought after will be Warhammer figures.

    Personally, I like getting quite battered old hollowcast that are worth a dollar or so each and completely repainting them. A lot of dealers think a battered old figure is worth heaps because it is 'old'. Some even think a corroded old armless thing dug up in the garden is worth big bucks when it is virtually worthless,

    However, to reiterate, you got a good buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I have been tempted by some of the more battered hollow cast figure lots, but I'm not sure i'm up to the job of repair! As for Warhammer, I think nostalgia may already be starting to drive demand with the rise of Old Hammer players.

      Delete
  2. Yup, prices have fallen, but I'm still mildly jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not for curiassiers who I had wanted for my French!

      Delete
  3. Excellent bargain John! Some clear gloss on the white horse and he will match up perfectly! I could care less about repainting, the point of our hobby is enjoyment and that's what these figures were originally made for! They are toys, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the gloss, Brad! There's also some unwelcome red paint on the white horse's belly and a hoof so I might as well take care of that while I'm at it.

      Delete