Thursday, November 16, 2023

Battle of the Alps Squared

June 1940, the Italian army, ordered by the outsized ego of Il Duce - who was desperate to have a piece of France before Hitler had captured it all for himself -  trundled across the northern alpine border into France.

The stalwart defenders of ennui and champagne had expected as much and were dug in and ready.

The Italians used the woods to cover the left wing of their advance.

The French infantry were well dug-in and extricating them proved more difficult than discretely hiding ten pounds of good salami into your rucksack.

Calling a meeting of L3s with the FT17s a "tank duel" or a "clash of armor" stretches credulity. Let us say, they fired shots at each other while snacking on loaves of bread and drinking bottles of wine, with the wine merchants being the real winners, judging by the ineffectiveness of both sides.

Eventually the French armor, despite damage incurred from the Italian battery - drove back their Italian opposites - can you blame those poor Italian pilots? They only learned to drive the L3 a few days ago. 

It was all for naught, as they were just in time to find the Italian infantry had successfully captured the village. A halfhearted attempted to dislodge the Italians met with no success.

The French had run out of time and would have to fall back. Here is the battlefield at the end:

The scenario was "Late Arrivals", a favorite of mine from One Hour Wargames. It works equally well for Austrians streaming into Italy as it does for Italians invading France. The game lasted the OHW standard 15 turns. 

The rules were improvised, based on my own squad-per-base rules - a mash of Crossfire, Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit, and The Portable Wargame - but moved up a few levels of organization and no stacking allowed. I also used ideas borrowed from Ross Mac's Fast and Furious Fifties

Initially I thought of the units as companies of infantry, platoons of tanks, three or so guns, etc. 

However, while writing my narrative it didn't really seem to matter and I could just as easily think of them as battalions. I hear Memoir '44 is a bit like that - where the nominal scale changes based on the scenario? I don't know, I've never played it, but that's my understanding.

It seemed to work here at least.

8 comments:

  1. Nice looking game John - I like these brick people and vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! The brick stuff just makes me smile every time I look at it!

      Delete
  2. Another great game John! I really like the Lego figures and tanks, they make for a refreshing change from the usual! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I think the next step will be to make a "gridded" Lego-type playing surface using different colored squares.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a good mash, and it seems to have done the trick. A rather fun looking game.

    But, Good Grief! It seems like a lonnng time since I scribbled those rules down, and then forgot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember how i came across the rules - in a comment somewhere on your blog maybe? I am sure I must have seen them at the time as I've been reading your blog for a decade plus now, but I didn't recall seeing them. I rather like them though. Especially the way the active side only attacks adjacent spaces. Seems like a good way to make my small playing area feel bigger.

      Delete
  4. You were getting these armies together the last time that I got 'around the blogs', so it is great to see that you have had a game or two with them. They look excellent. I really like the FT-17 (but then they look great in any scale!).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! I am tempted to pick up a second of each but first I will pick up some heavy machine guns and a mortar for each side.

      Delete