Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The First Dice of 2018 Have Rolled!

It doesn't look like much, but tonight I had my first run using the Five Men in Normandy rules by Ivan Sorensen.

I used the generic Nuts! (from Two Hour Wargames) infantry test scenario: small band of paratroopers assault a farm house with a sentry outside and an mg-42 team inside.

After one short play test, it's too early to say anything - I was surprised by the bail result, and the frequency I encountered it, but I also think I did something wrong. I need to re-read it and do so more carefully. It also isn't clear to me if activating the LMG counts as activating two figures (because of the loader) or just one.

Two US Paratroopers enter a small, but colorful, woods a short distance from the target farm house.

As for the use of naked figures and alien-looking 'trees', in my defense, I'm visiting my parents, and only grabbed a handful of unpainted plastics (they travel quite well when tossed into my backpack, compared to painted figures).

The trees, by the way, are cat toys.

4 comments:

  1. I think the whole is quite Christmas-y and appropriate!

    "Somewhere near Bastogne..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross,

      I was concerned the tribble-like trees would cause some consternation, but I think it was much ado about nothing. Sadly, I haven't been able to revisit the rules, or anything gaming related, since. Here's to hoping this weekend changes that!

      -John

      Delete
  2. OMG GIANT SEA URCHINS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on old chap. Do something new and encourage me.

    ReplyDelete