Thursday, March 14, 2019

Project Updates

We're about 2.5 months into 2019 and I thought I'd check in on my plans for the year to see how I'm doing. Not that I need to rigidly adhere to them, after all this is a hobby, but I think it helps to focus me when I feel a bit adrift or overwhelmed by options.

1. Complete a basic force for my Imaginations/VSF British and Russian forces.

By basic force I mean 1 infantry unit, 1 cavalry unit, 1 gun + crew, and 1 character (a reasonable force for G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.  for each side and enough to make a game of)

I finished a Russian infantry unit in February. Next up are the Cossacks - although I keep checking Britain's Cossack and Russian (albeit representing early 20th C. and not late 19th) cavalry sets on Ebay.

While I'll probably paint the AiP figures, I would love to have matched opponent for my Britain's lancers.

Also, running a bit low on Delta CeramCoat Green - my base color of choice for this project, so an order is due.

2. Bring my 54mm US and German WW2 armies up to three 10-figure units.

The first four Germans are on the painting table.


They aren't pretty but I wanted to include a picture on this post.
3. Touch up the paint, reseal, and re-base my WW2 armies.

Re-basing is mostly done for individual infantry, but team weapons and prone figures remain. I haven't even thought about touching up paint and resealing (I will probably make them glossy. It's an unpopular decision for WWII figures I know, but I like them that way).

With sheet magnets, the plastic figures adhere nicely to the 12"square of sheet steel that I lined my figure case with.

I need to order more bases, magnets, and Vallejo German Camo Green.

4. WWI Italian Front Gaming

I've played or, more correctly, started to play Burning Mountains twice. It's definitely a learning process.

For miniatures gaming, I'm leaning towards Price of Glory, Through the Mud and Blood, or another platoon level set, or maybe even using One Hour Skirmish Wargames.

What? I know, but hear me out.

With few exceptions, at the higher levels of organization, much of the Italian front was trench warfare - and while hurling a force at a prepared defensive position might be telling in the loss of lead and plastic lives, the movement and variety is in the infantry patrols and small groups of strumtruppen and arditi causing havoc.  

A Soldier on the Southern Front has quite a few stories of small groups of infantry (not arditi) involved in small actions and if I recall The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919 had some as well (it's been awhile since I read it).  Currently, I'm reading Hell in the Trenches: Austro-Hungarian Stromtroopers and Italian Arditi in the Great War which is really whetting my appetite for this level of game for WWI.  Expect a whole post very soon on the agonizing and life defining decision of which miniatures I'll decide to use.

For larger battles, I think I'll stick with hex and counters - and I'll eventually pick up Der Weltkrieg: The Italian Front 1915-1918 from DCG to cover more of the war than the 1916 Strafexpedition. Of course, as I write this, the idea of 6mm scale divisional games comes to mine. Moving on.


5. Social Gaming

Primarily by this I mean Bolt Action. I wrote the vendor to get an update on delivery of my minis. Apparently the delay has been caused by some paints that I ordered along with the Warlord Games 500pt French starter and they should be there in a week or so. So that's a plus. And I had my first Bolt Action learning game on Saturday with my 54s and more to come.

I will definitely be picking up the Italians as well for some early war Italian Invasion of France solo gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment