Sunday, March 31, 2019

Weekend Movies: Two world wars in about 4 hours.

I watch a lot of war-themed movies - luckily for you, I don't post all of them here, but I watched two interesting ones this weekend.

The first one is a Russian film (with subtitles) called Battalion. Proving once again that there are no feel-good WWI movies, this one is about the first Russian "Women’s Battalion". Good drama, lot's of battle sequences and an interesting unusual focus for a war movie.




Tonight was The Devil's Brigade. I can't say I've seen a lot of movies featuring Canadians in WWII (I live in the US  so maybe that explains that). The movie is about the First Special Service Force. It features some great battle sequences set in Italy plus a bunch of fun training sequences prior (see, a feel good war movie. No one does this for WWI). [Edit: not that it is all puppies and rainbows or doesn't end on a heavy note, but it's the kind that still leaves you feeling something positive and not sinking into a dark pit of existential despair. ]


2 comments:

  1. Hey, for a WWI film that actually makes you feel pretty damned good at the end of it is War Horse. I love everything about it--the camera work (especially the British Cavalry charge through a wheatfield), the acting, the uniforms, and especially the horse itself. Some scenes will be utterly sad, exasperating, and depressing. It looks for all the world that the ending will be a downer, but it's not. My son, who does not care much for war movies, said at the end it was one of the greatest pictures he had ever seen.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! I will check it out. Although after reading other reviews, it sounds like I'll be bawling my eyes out!

      Cheers!

      Delete