Monday, January 4, 2021

The 2021 Plan Post

Planning for the new year is generally a time for unbridled optimism. I think 2020 taught us to scale that back a little.

So, with that in mind, I've been honing my goal list down into something less ambitious than years past.

Painting:

Although it feels a little bit of a cheat, I  have ten Russians for my colonial "Blueland" campaign about 1/2 way done, sitting on my paint table that I will finish.  I also have two guns on the way for the collection and they, with their crews, are on the list for this year.

Imperial Russians in Progress.

In an effort to finally bring WWI Italy to the game table, I am aiming to paint ten Italians and ten Austrians. I think 20 figures seems do-able, but then again, I don't think I did that many in 2020.

For WWII, a base of Soviet engineers (two figures that are conversions) will serve to complete the Soviets to be able to field either side in the 2x2 Crossfire scenarios. They're also partly done, so it's just getting back to it. There are a couple of Germans nearly completed that I should probably just finish up as well.

Games:

As for actually playing with my toys, arguably the point of this hobby, my goal is to play one figure game and one hex and counter game per month. 

I hope to play more mind you, but that would minimally scratch the itch.

New Project?

A possible new project, is the air war over Italy during WWI.

I've mentioned it before, but it's a vastly neglected topic on the Southern Front, at least in English language books. And while I have never played an air war game with miniatures,  I have continued  eyeballing some of the Wings of Glory planes. 

They aren't cheap but they do look nice - I'd want maybe 2 or 3 per side (which means at least Italy, Austria, and England, possibly Germany - have to look into that), so that adds up. In what is a Herculean effort to be properly fiscally responsible,  I'm also considering 1/144 kits or 1/300-ish miniatures. 

Now let's see how long these goals last before I'm tempted by something new and shiny!

5 comments:

  1. Its good to have a plan so you know what to NOT do! :)

    If painting is an issue,you might just be better to spend the money and get 2 Wongs of War planes, enough for training flights and 1 on 1 duels, more can follow if its fun.
    At any rate, enjoy the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea - adding to my painting pile is definitely not enticing. And having never played any miniatures air games, your suggestion makes even more sense.

      Thanks, Ross!

      Delete
  2. Bit of optimism is not a bad thing at the moment. Best of luck with the plan John.
    Anything I have part-painted from last year is definitely going to be counted in 2021, if I ever get them finished...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your 2021 plans.

    ReplyDelete