Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Christmas Bounty Arrives: Italian Front Acquisitions

Because, like many of my fellow war gamers, my hobbies are rather, shall we say particular, my family typically gifts me money for holidays, with the instruction to spend it as I see fit (though, not to be used for practical things. My mother is quite clear about that.) I decided to parlay it this year into a round of collecting for my WWI Italian Front project. (please disregard that I'm a year behind on my plan!)

The first to arrive:

The eyes freak me out.

These figures, acquired on eBay, were painted by a previous owner and I will be repainting them in my particular style (and in my preferred colors) when I finally get started painting this project. I had them in my watch list for ages and the price dropped like a rock so I snagged them.

They will be used to represent the arditi (grenades and knives being their favored weapons). They are from an out-of-production Dulcop set that includes alpini and bersaglieri. Ross Mac first alerted me to the existence of the Dulcop set a few years ago now, and I have been watching for them to come up for  reasonable price on eBay since! 

Both sides are getting machine guns in the form of 1/35 plastic kits. While I would have preferred to use the Irregular 1/32 sets (the German MG team can easily make a passable late war Austro-Hungry MG team), the cost of shipping made the plastic ICM kits more manageable for my wallet.

Peppermint inspects the troops

They will be under scale, but I do this with my WWII figures and it doesn't bother me in-game or even in pictures. It only bothers me theoretically. 

The Italians don't have their own specific model kit, sadly. So, I will begin with a 1/35 ICM British Vickers team that I will give Adrian style helmets and maybe swap the Vickers for a Fiat-Revelli  (both the helmets and mg courtesy of ICM's set of Italian accessories). Despite an estimated arrival time of late February, they arrived yesterday!

In keeping with the toy-soldier nature of my games, rather than worry about correct artillery, I've decided to go with Britain's guns. There are two different models pictured below with Armies in Plastic figures.

Although they aren't identical, I like the idea of different caliber guns. Now, it's just a matter of which models come up the cheapest on eBay..


At this point, I'm collecting forces to meet the One Hour Wargames Machine Age organization, replacing Cavalry with Assault Troops (sturmtruppen and arditi)- 3 infantry figures per unit initially - making them useful for The Portable Wargame, OHW, and similar. Like my colonial figures, they will be individually based, allowing me to play a variety of rules with the same figures..

Taking another of Ross's suggestions, I opted to go in on two Wings of Glory planes. The Italians are the first to equip with a Macchi M.5 flying boat: 

I really love the pre-painted models. Detail I could never replicate.

If I find I enjoy air miniatures games (I have two air board games that I enjoy: Battle Over Britain from Minden Games and GMT's Enemy Coast Ahead starter scenarios), then I can always acquire more of the planes. Since it isn't likely, for now, to be more than a side show, the pre-painted Wings of Glory planes are more than worth the time saved not having to paint them

Finally, because I stumbled on this article about WWI Italian combined operations, I ordered a copy of The Battle of the Otranto Straits: Controlling the Gateway to the Adriatic. Combined with inspiration provided by Archduke Piccolo's lovely ships , I have an itch to try some naval miniatures gaming as well - although I will probably go with commercially available miniatures, rather than attempting to build my own. I know painting is involved, but a coat of grey seems do-able.

Unfortunately, I noticed this morning that the post office tried to deliver my book to some unknown ZIP code, which I can only assume is either a handwriting issue of the seller, or a mistake at the post office - eBay shows the correct ZIP, and clearly, quite a few things have been delivered to me successfully. Hopefully, I can get this resolved - it was a nice copy at a good price.

18 comments:

  1. John, this is an interesting post, look forward to seeing how some of these projects develop, particularly the WW1 Italians. Like yourself, I'm not hostile to getting some 1/35 scale equipment for my smallish 54mm figures (more like 52mm anyhow). If you are slow painting figures, I would use your brush-time on unpainted figures, those Italians don't look bad?
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, That's a good suggestion. Particularly as the seller had another 30+ figures for sale, and I decided to grab them, too (they are a mix of Waterloo 1815 and the Dulcop figures - although some of the alpini are included. I'm not not sure if they come from the same original painter though). Perhaps I'll reward Italian units with a paint-up based on their battle performance? Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I’ll note Bob Cordery’s Gridded Naval Wargames is a good system to use for dabbling in naval engagements (though I use a critical damage table to vary results). GHQ probably has the best selection and quality for the nations involved and the period, though it can get a bit pricey. Not sure what other suppliers are out there for this period. I’ve found a gray basecoat, a layer of dark wash, and some lighter drybrushing add some contrast to make the details stand out. Wings of Glory is also a nice system for dabbling in aerial combat; pre-painted minis help and the system is easy enough. I think there’s even an app for solitaire play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendations, Peter. I had forgotten Bob Cordery had done a set of gridded naval rules. Just knowing the general approach Bob takes tells me they will likely suit my needs, when it comes to getting my feet wet (no pun intended, but I admit I just laughed out loud). I know he has air rules in Developing the Portable Wargame though I believe they are WWII specific. I wonder if anyone has ported them to WWI?

      Delete
  3. Great haul John! I really like the little sea plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well! There's an Austrian painted version (a captured plane) as well, which I may have to acquire at some point just because I really like the looks of these early sea planes.

      Delete
  4. I like the Italians as they are. Lots of interesting things going on here. I really look forward to following this project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, tradgardmastare! They are growing on me - at least enough to let them be for the moment. I have another batch of figures on the way that were also painted in a similar, if not same, style - so I'll concentrate on the Austrians first.

      Delete
  5. These Dulcop figures are a delight. And I like the eyes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something unsettling to me about them but I will let them go in the short term. I ordered another batch of figures from the same seller- a mix of the Waterloo 1815 figures, which I have, and more of the Dulcop, including some of the alpini pose - not clear if it's the same painter or not (the seller didn't paint them) but I'll focus on the Austrians first, to get some small encounters on the table sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  6. This all looks good. I look forward to the Winter Offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! I hope to have something on the table sooner rather than later! (isn't that what we always help though?)

      Delete
  7. Hi. Just been redirected here and it's terrific. I do 1/72 plastic (obviously in plain paper wrapping and in disguise) but I have a lot old 1/32 stuff from my youth I can't bear to part with and this blog looks great. I look forward to reading more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for checking out my blog! Painted figure-count wise, my 1/72 collection is bigger than my 1/32 collection but I don't game with them much anymore (which is a shame - my PTO collection is solid for small infantry only games). The last time I did was in 2019!: https://54mmorfight.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-wee-play-test.html

      Cheers!

      Delete
  8. Great aquisitions John, especially those Britains guns. I look forward, in time, to seeing some of your combined actions (I share your admiration of Ion's marvellous scratch-built ships).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! I'm surprised at how generally inexpensive these guns are compared to later produced models (like the Deetail's PAK-38).

      Delete
  9. Don't fire until you see the white of their Arditi eyes! Well, that's a long way off, really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a field day for the Austrian snipers!

      Delete