Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Austria Inches Closer to War

I can't say the progress on these is substantial, at least not visibly. Inwardly though, I decided to let go a little of my perfectionism (well, attempts at) and embrace the "the best is the enemy of the good" mentality. There are a couple of sloppy spots that I will have to fix for my sanity, but the rest stays as is. 

They do need a gloss finish though, of course. However, I need to figure out basing first. I was all set for 2 figures on a 2 inch square, like my WWII Eastern Front collection. But then I saw them just singly on the table and I felt nostalgic for the simple early days of my own wargaming where individual figures and 1:1 ratios were all I knew.

This could be a fun Fistful of Lead force or One Hour Skirmish.

 So I'm not sure which I'll do yet. Maybe 1"x2" bases, so I can fake 2" squares?

Bayonets properly shiny. Figures based this way are suitable for Trench Hammer, Portable Wargame, Crossfire, etc.
 

I do try to make each collection provide  a different experience. More to think on regarding that.

12 comments:

  1. The figures look great John! There really is something special about 54mm figures on single bases though. I'm sure it has to do with nostalgic feelings about our childhood toy soldiers and how we played with them. Just have fun, you've got a great unit there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I'm definitely leaning towards the single figures (on 1x2 bases)for nostalgia.

      Delete
  2. Great work John, they look really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Single figures every time for me at 54mm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely something about it that just looks right.

      Delete
  4. The whole point of multiple figure stands is for convenience. The choice will depend on what works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Although my brain does treat them differently though - the conditioning from reading other blogs and war games books, rather than some inherent quality. I can see a stand of two figures as a some kind of unit, but two single figures doesn't look like one to me, unless they're in a grid space.

      Delete
  5. Good progress, I'd say. That last 10% always takes longer than expected, but really finishes them off, doesn't it?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! Indeed it does.

      Delete
  6. Coming along nicely. Don’t rush as Austria always mobilises slowly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim! I will from now on claim that my painting speed is intended to simulate the historical situation.

      Delete