Monday, March 21, 2022

Random Unplanned Purchases

A few weeks ago, I saw a sign in the nearby Barnes & Noble that everything was on sale for 25% off. A friend of mine, and a former employee of the store, posted on Instagram that the landlord wasn't renewing the lease so that store was going to be closing. That explained the sale.

25% off of retail pricing doesn't even put it into Amazon pricing let alone eBay pricing, so I made a mental note to keep an eye on the signage as these things tend to progress to deeper discounts over time.

Last week, another friend, knowing bookstores are my Achilles's heel, messaged me that everything was 50% off.

 A few days later,I had a chance to pop by on my lunch break. The sale was in full clearance mode - up to 75% off.

I should add that many of my friends are well aware of my mantra that "You're losing money not buying it" when items are on sale. So it was inevitable that money would start to jump out of my wallet with discounts like that.

Discretion and valor and all that, so I did my best to limit my purchases. I checked the magazines and while some of the history ones were interesting, they weren't in my current research areas (which sounds fancy, but just means WWI Southern Front and British airbone in WWII). The history books were disappointing - lot's of WWII titles, but nothing in my narrow interests. How many books about the Battle of the Bulge are there anyway?

The "big score" was Star Wars X-wing by Fantasy Flight Games, seen here still proudly in shrink wrap:



I've had this on my "I should check this out someday" list. At $10 USD for the set it was a no-brainer. In retrospect, I probably should have bought a couple of sets to have the additional ships and bits and bobs.

The other item that I picked up will no doubt be unsurprising given I am known for my cultured tastes:

I have long been a fan of SpongeBob Squarepants (I think I first started watching it in 2000 or thereabouts - the marching band episode was the first one I ever saw), so resisting this was neigh impossible for a fiver. 

You might be thinking - "he's off his rocker" - but seriously, the first 3 seasons are excellent, with the 4th being tolerable. Beyond that it definitely gets too over the top cartoony - undoubtedly some executive at Nickelodeon decided the show was too smart and needed to appeal more to children (seriously, watch the first season, it's not nearly as goofy as later seasons and a lot of the humor, while not dry,  is more sophisticated than the cartoony buffoonish-ness of later seasons).

In any case, my partner tolerates my singing "Striped Sweater" and "Krusty Krab Pizza" spontaneously during the day, so it's my hope I'll be able to convince her to play this with me (it helps that she likes the regular edition of Fluxx). My son,  though he dislikes anything not on a screen for the most part, seemed at least mildly intrigued by a game with a SpongeBob imagery (it's one of the cartoons we watch regularly together - at my behest. He'd watch YouTube videos featuring other people playing video games if he had his choice).

Full retail price for the two games would have been $60 USD, so not a bad haul for $15. 

I tend to prefer independent booksellers or eBay even, but I'm sorry to see the store close. A book store is preferable to 90% of the other stores likely to take that spot. I will pray for a Hobby Town or perhaps a craft store. Hoping for a dedicated game store is just a bit too unrealistic - though there are none in the city proper that I am aware of.

8 comments:

  1. Great buys John! You can't beat X-wing vs. Tie fighters! And Spongebob is the best! My daughter grew up with him and I loved the show as much as she did! My favorite episode is "The Night Shift." And even though she is 32 now, we still always watch the original "Spongebob Christmas Special" with Patchy and Potty every holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one with the Hash Slinging Slasher? My son and I love that episode! And we also watch the original Christmas special! If you haven't seen it - there's a series called SpongeBob DocuPants - it's on Amazon Prime. We watch those fairly regularly as well - they're mocumentary's based around particular episodes, with talking head "experts" presenting "analysis" and "insights".

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, the Hash Slinging Slasher! And when Spongebob takes the trash to the dumpster in the dark, it is the most excellent episode!

      Delete
    3. That is very much how i take out the trash at night!

      Delete
  2. I can hardly mock your decisions, John..... this week I bought a 'Ladybird' book. These were standard issue to every primary school child in the UK during the 1960s and 70s. And they covered numerous subjects on history, nature, science, etc, etc. Some bright spark decided to publish some 'mock' titles, using the same format and style. This one is called 'The Ladybird Book of The Hangover'. Every page is a witty account of people who have drunk too much and ended up with a hangover...... page 52, Winston Churchill was prime minister from 1940 to 1945..... Nobel Prize winner....... He had a persistent, nagging hangover from 1892 to 1965, when he died. He never surrendered'. Not sure if British humour travels but it made a few of us smile.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,

      It certainly gave me a chuckle!

      I like to think of these amusements as signs that though we may grow older, we don't have to grow old (I am convinced toy soldiers are another proof of this).

      Cheers!

      - John

      Delete
  3. Random? Unplanned? Is there any other kind of purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In person, that is definitely true. When shopping online though, it's hours if not days of agonizing over what to buy and where to buy it from!

      Delete