Monday, July 11, 2022

One-Off Fantasy Battle

Yesterday, I finished painting up another 3-figure batch of the SCS Direct lizard warriors (the marine iguana themed ones). I've also been re-basing my Deetail knights individually so they can be used either on Venus or in small fantasy skirmishes. 

It seemed like a good as time as any to put a small battle on the table. The rules were the Ancient rules from Developing the Portable Wargame. The scenario was "Take the High Ground" from One Hour Wargames. The "table" is 7 grid spaces wide by 6 deep. Grid spaces are 5" square.

Deployment grid spaces were determined by die roll.

The foot knights were heavy infantry, the archers were treated as close order. The mounted knights were heavy cavalry. All foot lizards were light infantry, while the triceratops was treated as a war elephant. The spinosaurus was treated as heavy infantry with a +2 bonus in the first round of close combat, +1 thereafter.


Turn 3 or 4:  Flank attacks aplenty.

I was quite pleased both in how the game played and the look of the thing.  Unfortunately my phone died not even half-way through!

However, I did manage the classic "rule book with the table" photo before that happened:


I will undoubtedly play more games like this as my Venusians slowly build up. There'll be no painting this week though, as I'm off to Philly tonight. I plan to show my son my favorite city and gorge myself on soft pretzels and Goldberg's Peanut Chews.

For the flights, and for late evening downtime, I have some research planned: Edgar Rice Burroughs's Pirates of Venus.


It's definitely of the "summer reading" variety of research, but should provide inspiration and fodder for planning while I'm away from my toys.

10 comments:

  1. Everything looks great John, glad to hear it went well! Have a great time with your son in PA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to read that book, or, probably, re-read it as I might already have done so. I lose track of Burroughs books as he wrote so many.
    Yesterday I bought a 'bucket' of small dinosaurs whose heads are the right size to place on 1/32 human figures so some conversions will happen at a point in the future. I haven't decided if they will be armed with spears, firearms or 'space weapons' or a mixture of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I'm pretty much set at this point for lizard folk (my "armies" are more like warbands), I have wanted to try that method.

      Delete
  3. Good to see your games are well researched :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the most rigorous academic standards will do!

      Delete
  4. Great looking game John! And some good reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird, wonderful and different in a very good way.

    ReplyDelete