Sunday, July 3, 2022

An Elephant Never Forgets

The other day I saw a post over on The Eastern Garrison and I knew I had to completely redo the elephant I had done earlier.

He was fine as he was - although I had never finished painting his base - but I really wanted him to blend in better with the Tanitians (he is a spell caster/beast for them/servant of the Yellow King, Azathoth,  Cthulhu, and the other Elder Beings - no need of a howdah and crew). Having witnessed the glossy black elephants in the Eastern Garrison post, I saw the path forward with clarity.

Behold!

The symbol is one of Cthulhu that I found online.

He still has two red eyes and the central yellow Third Eye.

HaT markets him as 1/32 but he looks small to me. However, in comparison to the triceratops, he is the right size (the triceratops should be. and is. bigger). So, at least they are in scale to each other.

On the march.

Warriors, forever!

In Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles beasts/monsters count as two units - they have quite a few abilities. In GASLIGHT, I would undoubtedly give him hit points to bring down and make him a main character, so he would be allowed saving rolls as well, making him formidable. 

I think the only change I would still make at this point is a round base for him, so he fits in better with the others. However, I have no rounds of sufficient size. I want the base to extend beyond his horns - the tusks are long, yes, but the horns are quite big, and both are delicate, too, as they are made of air-dry clay.

In any case, I had already started on a batch of three SCS Direct lizard warrior when I was distracted by this idea. Back to those!



6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beast John, he fits right in perfectly with the Tanitians! I wish my distractions were as productive as yours! Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! Most of my distractions aren't so practical. I lucked out in this case!

      Delete
  2. The black works well with the orange and I love the middle eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The eyes are sticky-backed and come in a wide variety of sizes from quite small to quite large. I have to resist the urge to add them to everything!

      Delete
  3. I love it! (him/her/it) Now its an alien beast and right in keeping.

    A round base would have to be huge sideways, an oval one might be better? Avoids the corners but still matched the longer than it is wide structure of the beast. (just 0.10 $cad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross!

      I think you are right. A round base would be far too much empty space width-wise. I like the idea of an oval base or even a rectangle with rounded corners. I'll have to see what i can do about that!

      Delete