Thursday, December 29, 2022

1917 Fictional Strafexpedition Game 5 (Final game!)

III Battalion, Sacher Regiment, was ordered to infiltrate into Italian territory and disrupt enemy reinforcements and supplies from reaching the front.

The battalion's second-in-command, Major Nino Aigner, was assigned to personally lead the effort. Ninth and Tenth companies, accompanied by 2nd company, 501st Sturmbattalion, would proceed south with all due haste, bypassing an enemy trench position dug into the northern end of a prominent hill. A detachment of III Battalion's machine guns would engage the enemy trenches to provide cover for the infantry advance.

Initial advance.

The hilltop defenders fought fiercely and, though suffering some losses, managed to silence the attacker's machine guns.

Two companies of Italian reinforcements arrived via the road from the south. The Italian's lead company engaged Ninth company in a firefight as did the surviving hilltop defenders, who had relocated to the southern most position on the hill top. 

With clear firelanes to their target, Ninth company was decimated, and the survivors routed.

The sturmcompany came under heavy fire but held on as they attempted to close with the enemy. Meanwhile Tenth company advanced, keeping close to the woods.

The Italians continued to arrive, including an infantry company, a cavalry squadron, and a field gun battery. Two companies opened fire on the sturmcompany, shooting it to pieces.

With just a single company remaining, Major Aigner was forced to order a withdrawal.

The Italians had stopped the Austrian advance with ease.

******

The scenario is "Infiltration" from One Hour Wargames (scenario #25).  I opted to use One Hour Wargame forces, treating each two-base unit as a company, but for the rules, I used Trench Hammer v2, with some rules from the Expansion. 

This was my second go at this - I had not calculated how dramatically different the movement rate is in Trench Hammer compared to One Hour Wargames. In the first go, the Austro-Hungarian force made it to the exit point two full turns before the arrival of the second Italian reinforcements.

That didn't sit well with me.

I reset the table and adjusted the arrival schedule. Whether it worked better or not depends on who you wanted to win, but at the very least it seemed fairer to me for the Italians to at least get their force on the table.

You could argue, quite convincingly, that I made a mistake in the schedule - arriving on turns 2 and 4, rather than turns 2 and 5 (the original is 3 and 6). 

That's OK - the game served its purpose - to try out two-base units with Trench Hammer - and honestly, when I first conceived of this, it was going to be a straight up five-game campaign following the model given by Neil Thomas in OHW,

If we look at the campaign as a competition between the battalions of Sacher Regiment, then II battalion was the clear winner. They defeated the Italians in two battles before I ruled them too worn out to proceed further. I battalion won their first but lost their second. And III battalion lost their first - therefore, no second.

The Italians only won two of the engagements and so, on that basis lost the campaign. However, as they stopped both the left and right flanks from advancing beyond the second row, that looks to me like, at the very least, a minor victory.

For giggles, I made this map after the fact using the maps from One Hour Wargames to show how I picture the scenarios connecting:

I battalion is the left column, II battalion is the middle, and III battalion is the right.

I had decided that if I made it to the bottom row (or if I needed a tie breaker) in any column, they would be river-based scenarios, with the river running left to right.

I also think It'd be possible to make a larger map of many One Hour Wargames tables and then when sides meet, that's the scenario that gets played. Not sure if I'll do that, but it's an idea!

This campaign, besides being a good bit of fun and an opportunity to get my WWI collection on the table, served its purpose overall, which was to figure out which rules I want to use and what I want forces to look like. The last game, with two-base/four-figure companies is the winner (I may go back to single-figure bases, but use four-figure companies) and I can use Trench Hammer or "Machine Age" rules (with my various modifications) from OHW with the same setup and have equally enjoyable games.

Favorite pic (from 1st game that didn't count): Lancieri charge sturmcompany

Although I'm still preparing my goals/plans/ideas for the coming year, I do believe that in 2023, we can eventually expect a return to the Southern Front, for a campaign, possibly using a map, and very hopefully with air support. 

6 comments:

  1. This was a great experiment on a WWI theatre that I am particularly interested in seeing on the table. I am all for multi-figure basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! Ever since listening to the audiobook version of The White War, the Southern Front has dwarfed my interests in any other historical period.

      Delete
  2. It was an excellent campaign John with exciting and very enjoyable battles! I'm glad that you accomplished your objective! I wish you and your family a joyous and prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! It was nice to finally get the bulk of the collection on the table - only the Arditi were left on the sidelines. A joyous New Year to you and your family as well!

      Delete
  3. John, I have three systems for creating my terrain. The first is to distribute features in keeping with Capability Brown's principals..... so it takes a nice photo. The second, in more competitive games, to grid the tabletop on paper, and dice for the distribution of features. And thirdly, in some of my USA v Empire battles, I do look up old maps and represent key features. Love the look of the figures!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! I had never heard of Capability Brown before, so that led to an interesting bit of reading. I admit to being rather basic with my setups when using the One Hour Wargames scenarios, sticking to the map given with little or no embellishment. I will probably be using a combination of your first two methods for the imagined future campaign - using the map to determine the predominant terrain type.

      Delete