Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Holiday Game Ideas?

You might recall that I ran a Christmas-themed wargame (here and here) for my family and friends last year, where each player controlled a team:

Everyone seems to love that 88mm

King Moonracer taking on the StuG!

For this year's Christmas celebration, based on what I have learned/confirmed about this group, I plan to do something more RPG-like as they really enjoy:

  • playing a single character
  • having a suitable figure for that character to move around the table
  • working as a team
  • having activities that aren't just combat (although some of them, like my son, prefer that)
  • exploiting their character's special abilities

Rule-systems? I'm thinking Dungeons & Dragons B/X because I know it cold - players playing traditional classes. That said, I'm off having the players play animals from the woods around Santa's workshop coming to the rescue instead and reskinning the B/X classes. 

Alternately, an RPG-lite skirmish wargame where each player controls 1 figure. 

The only caveat for any of this - I will have about 8 players to wrangle.

I'm contemplating creating an adventure using the 5-Room Dungeon as my guide. The rooms here mean encounters, by the way, not necessarily literal rooms. There has to be a lot going on with that many players and five rooms probably won't provide enough alternate pathways to an end point.

Taking a look at some of the available modules on DriveThru and Dungeon Masters Guild, I see a lot of them focus on rescuing Santa and/or fighting Krampus. Excellent, as I really didn't get to use my painted up LOD Santa last year (the sleigh spent the entire game on the board, but Santa wasn't found until the end) and I wouldn't mind building my own Krampus model.

Here's what I'm thinking of encounters (some stolen from the aforementioned modules):

  • Snowmen - Probably encountered along the way, as an ice breaker (pun intended!) for getting everyone used to their characters.
  • Toy Solders (Paint up some clothespin toy soldiers with puffball bearskins, that kind of thing) acting as guards to the location.
  • Nutcracker Automaton - might be good in a puzzle encounter but I don't know what the puzzle would be
  • Giant Ice Spider (an excuse to buy the Schleich ice spider)
  • Yeti/Bumble/etc.
  • Krampus, Jack Frost, Ice Wizard(Ice King from Adventure Time?), or  other Big Bad (possibly some Fat Cat Capitalist / Scrooge / Sam Walton, the latter stolen from a game I once saw on a blog years ago)

Notice that pretty much all of these are combat encounters. I could use some help coming up with holiday themed non-combat encounters!

If you have any ideas, please feel free to suggest them! Last year it was suggested that I incorporate some kind of snowball throwing outside of the tabletop, which I did, and it was a huge hit!


7 comments:

  1. Encounters -
    If the location of this adventure happens to be Israel, and the year ... anything ... there might be an encounter with the Three Magi, a bunch of shepherds, King Herod and the lads asking about that big shiny thing in the sky, and maybe, looking for a place to kip, asking directions for accommodations - any run down nag hostelry will do...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas traditions and you are providing me with a new one John! Your now annual Christmas themed game is something that I will look forward to each year, not to put too much pressure on you! As far as non-combat encounters go, I had a great Nutcracker game years ago and one of the highlights was Clara trying to bean the Mouse King with her slipper! If you can make a Krampus, I'm sure that you can make a Mouse King! We used a Nerf Ball at different distances and it was great fun! Enjoy your holiday John, it already sounds like you will have a very memorable time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! No more pressure than my family and friends are putting on me to run something :D ! Love the Mouse King idea. Amusingly enough, I had ideas for this year's game last year, but forgot all about them and so again I'm left with a week or so to get everything ready.

      Delete
  3. A Christmas tree that the party must leave a gift under in order to receive a vital clue or key. Blizzard like conditions, or perhaps it could be so cold the words freeze coming out of their mouths and have to be thawed out/ melted to be heard. A lair/location that is an ice castle, or an inn along the way. Mischievous little pixie sized snow men. An area with huge icicles which wall fall and inflict damage because of loud noises. An escaped gnome that fled one of Santa's sweat shops. These are all things I've used in Christmas games over the years. Feel free to use or abuse them as you see fit. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! So much great stuff here, I have to refrain from using it all and save some for next year! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
    2. I love Littler Bo Peep and the Nutcracker 'robot'.

      Delete