Thursday, August 10, 2023

French Army Receives Boost as New Armor Arrives at the Front Line

I mentioned, in a comment on my most recent minifig post, that I had acquired a French Renault FT 17. 

The assembly was a bit more complicated than the L3, in part because the instructions were only a step or two above Ikea in clarity. Both vehicles used the familiar Lego-like pictures-only instructions, but the FT instructions seemed to leave things out or were less obvious in their meaning.

Or that could just be me.

In any case, here is the pride of the French Army of the Alps:

Admittedly, a Char B1 would be a bit more worthy of pride, but then the Italians would be unable to counter any French assault.

I'm not sure what scale the FT is - I know the one from COBI is billed as 1/32. I think this one is closer to 1/50. I could measure it and then compare to the actual size, but the tape measure is so far away.

This model (I don't know who makes it) came from BrickAction, an Etsy seller and also creator of their own brick-centric wargaming rules. I haven't tried the rules yet, so I can offer no comment on them. As for BrickAction itself, they are friendly, ship fast, and have great customer service.

As a bonus, BrickAction packages this tank with two French infantry.

That they are wearing Horizon Blue is a bit odd for my uses (the FT 17 was in use in WWI in 1918, which probably explains the uniform choice) , but I'm just going to say they are wearing leftover NOS uniforms from WWI. 

They'll be used to crew either a mortar or machine-gun as needed. I just need to raid my son's minifigure bin for a suitable tripod mounted MG.

7 comments:

  1. Great toys John! I'm looking forward to seeing the games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with them. I hope to get a game in this weekend.

      Delete
  2. That'll put Il Duce's lads to flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only because their only counter is the L3 and their infantry has no experience in June 1940!

      Delete
  3. Another excellent looking tank John! I can't wait to see it in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to play a game this weekend. The difficult part is choosing 1) rules and 2) a scenario. I'm leaning towards One Brain Cell again, but I can easily imagine a Portable Wargame or my modified version of OHW WWII just as easily.

      Delete
  4. Lego Minifigures are about 1:42 scale. I think Cobi soldiers are made close to Lego's Minifigures in scale?
    The tank look about right size for the figures, so I'd guess it would be about 1:42-ish scale.

    ReplyDelete