Monday, August 7, 2023

More games!

This weekend featured quite a lot of gaming again, but almost entirely D&D, so there are no pictures.

For your viewing pleasure, here are photos for one of last weekend's many games:

How it started ...

How it was going ...

How it ended.
I thought the greater firepower for the Russians would offset the numerical disadvantage. 

I was wrong.

Rules used were G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.

This was the last game for the Cossacks. They are heading to Canada. The Imperial Russians are heading to a new home near me.

 ***

The D&D campaign we started on our vacation, continues. Although school started back up on the 1st, it's barely put a dent in our gaming.

Indeed, I haven't played this much D&D since I was a kid.

My son asks to play almost every day - so much so, that we've churned through almost everything I prepped in advance. And, having little to no time between sessions, I had to call last night's session short.I felt like the quality of my DMing was dropping rapidly. 

I've been using a couple of sample dungeons (Holmes and the one in the Swords & Wizardry quick start, both of which I've run many times before), and some of the many freely available one-page dungeons for this megadungeon - reskinned to connect them thematically. However, we have gone past what I reskinned, and I was having to do that on the fly.  While I can improvise easily with an unkeyed map, I can't help but feel compelled to refer to the key when one exists. That led to disjointed play with me flipping back and forth between pages.

I'll spend some time tonight finding or creating some unkeyed maps, make a quick list of what occupies the level and generate contents on the fly so we can play unhindered again. I don't need detailed descriptions of room contents to run a game, I just need to know in advance the relationships between the entities on that level and their relationships with entities on other levels.

I'm a big fan of dungeon economies (which gives PC's an access point to gold without having to fight, if they can find a way to become a part of it) and preparing relationships between factions that the party can get involved with. The latter produces emergent story, and that's my preference - rather than a particular plot (the only hook for this campaign is the PCs are seeking fame and fortune), I like the players to decide what matters to them, and for the game world to react to their actions.

We are using the Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert rules (I was in 6th grade when I got them. He's in 7th now.), supplemented with some OSR-created products, including the Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion and some new classes.

So far, it's working like a charm.

 **** 

We played Blitz Bowl together this weekend and he had a great time. That he trounced me by 11 points might have something to do with it. I'm not bitter - he made a great use of one of the bonus play cards to score the winning touchdown - but I demand a rematch! 

It also made me want to get paints for the Nurgle team but there's a bunch of stuff in the paint queue currently.

In related news, my son has expressed interest in possibly playing 40K (he's met some kids at school who play). My wallet weeped a little, but I do like a lot of the figures.

We primed some of fantasy figures from my Pile of Plastic this weekend and one of his sci-fi looking "army men" and we'll do some painting sessions, so he can find out if it's something he likes enough that he'd want to paint up an entire force (Kill Team only requires 10 figures per side, so that sounds like the best entry point to me).

His birthday is coming soon, and I would be happy to buy him a 40K starter set(he likes the set with 5 marines and a bunch of Tyranids), or a box of figures and paints, if that's what he wants.

6 comments:

  1. My kids would also chew through content faster than I could prep it which is why we switched to co-op GMing with the Mythic GM emulator. The beauty of doing this, besides prepping nothing more than a paragraph of game world state, is that eventually my youngest kid feels so confident in this role that she offers to GM games for us from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Going to offer my son that option - I know he has a game idea he wants to try to run and I've been encouraging him to do it but there's resistance to bringing it to our gaming group. This sounds like the perfect way to give him some experience and to build his confidence, while sharing some of the GMing burden. I just need to print tout the Mythic GME book - when i printed mine years ago i printed two pages per sheet, and i had much better eyesight back then!

      Delete
    2. If you bought it via DTRPG make sure you grab the latest revisions as the artwork is much improved.

      Can highly recommend the 2nd Edition book and/or the card deck version as well. For whatever reason the Deck version *really* made the workflow of Mythic "sink-in" for my kids. Now they are comfy with using the chart from the 2nd Edition book but prior to that I was having to do a lot more heavy lifting. When we switched to the Deck suddenly everything fell into place - maybe just the tactile nature of drawing a card... I don't know!

      The 2nd Edition book is... pretty large but it is so well done. The core system is the same but there's a bunch more optional systems and meaning tables that greatly help.

      Delete
    3. Sadly, I did not get Mythic from DriveThru. That said I am a huge sucker for card based anything (except games that only use cards, oddly enough). Definitely going to check that out. I want to check out 2nd, but I'll have to save a bit first - i definitely want print. In the meantime, maybe I'll have my 1st edition printed at OfficeMax.

      Delete
  2. That's certainly an eclectic mix of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite feature of my Victorian SciFi/Lost World figures is that I can play what-if historical or go full on fantastical with the same figures.

      Delete