Sunday, May 26, 2024

First Outing of Space Marines and Necrons

Friday night, I put paint to figures for the first time in ... awhile and by Saturday afternoon I finally finished the three Necrons and two Scarabs I had been working on for ages.

I still have three Necrons to paint, but I decided to get a game in as motivation for painting (the way Norm at Battlefields and Warriors does).

The game was Fire Team

The first time my Blood Ravens have been deployed in anger!

The Space Marines charge to their left to claim an objective. The Necrons mirrored them to do the same at their end of the board.

Further into the game (I think this is turn 2), several Necrons were dropped this turn but wounds are piling up on the Blood Ravens (indeed they lost one almost immediately after I took this)

End game.

If you look at the above picture, both sides control one objective - 1 Victory Point each. However, the Space Marines won the day due to achieving one of their Target of Opportunity card objectives:

Honestly, it felt like a bit of a cheat for them to win that way (I play solo, so I win regardless).  That said, the cards are the luck of the draw, so well within regulation.

I'm not going to do a full discussion of the game - for a detailed treatment check out a post from Alex on  Up the Blue!: More Space Marine Adventures: "Fire Team" (upthebluefow.blogspot.com) That's the post that convinced me to buy the game.

I will say a few things:
  • The Target of Opportunity cards remind of the cards you use in Blitz Bowl to score points outside of a touch down - I find both equally difficult to achieve! I do like the added challenges though.
  • As a learning game there was a bit of rulebook checking, but after the first tun, it was all pretty straightforward.
  • There are a LOT of counters - not atypical in a board game, but difficult to manage with the miniatures (they don't balance on the stacks easily every time) and if you don't put them under the figure you have to be careful when multiple figures are in adjacent hexes, each with multiple counters.
It definitely has me excited to get painting on the last three Necrons!


2 comments:

  1. I forgot how beautiful your Blood Raven unit was John, those shoulder patches really make them look great! A very good game, it looks like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brad! I really enjoyed the game - it has a level of increased complexity over my usual tabletop fare, but still not difficult to grasp, and setup and clean up were quite fast thanks to the board instead of terrain bits.

      Delete