Monday, December 9, 2019

One Hour Wargames: War Comes to Tempus

The land of Tempus has long been the stage for the bitter rivalry between two countries, Dies and Nox. Independent buffer states - Aurora, Mane, Vesperum, and Nocte, - sprang up in the distant past and have variously served to cool or exacerbate the tempers of the dominant pair. Presently, it is a time of the latter, and the uneasy truce in their war over control of the continent has come to an end yet again. This time, it is hapless Aurora that is caught in the middle.

The Duke of Lux, vassal of Sol( the King of Dies, also known The Sun King (not that one)), having raised an army at his king's behest, advanced this force into Aurora under diplomatic pretense. However, such is the nature of courtiers and intrigues that Luna, Empress of Nox, Queen of the Night (not that one), quickly learned of the deceit. In turn, she commanded the Duke of Tenebris to raise a force and prepare to meet the threat.

With a preternaturally prescient understanding of the situation, Lux ordered an advance guard to race to, and take control of, a strategic hill overlooking the main road between Eastern and Western Aurora. The remainder of the holding force would follow.


The Nox army under Tenebris moved eastward into Aurora, where, it comes as no surprise, the leading elements of the force collided with Lux's avant garde.

And so it was that the inevitable new war began.


The Nox knights were ordered to dislodge Lux's units from the hill as quickly as possible in hopes of controlling it before the remainder of the Dies force arrived.


A maelstrom of clashing steel, men, and horses swirled about the hill.



The new arrivals for Dies charged into the fray, with a unit of knights held back and ordered to run down the Nox archers - who, it may be said, had quite literally become a thorn in their side.
.


Flaunting a previously captured banner of Nox, the knight's charged. They would pay dearly for their indiscretion.

Men fell and fled on both sides, but the scale of victory tilted heavily towards Dies.


The last of  the remaining Nox units fought fiercely, but in the end, they were outfought by the Dies men serving under Lux.



But, to be sure, the war had only just begun.


*****

This is scenario four, "Taking the High Ground" from Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames, The rules used are the medieval rules from the same book.

As I have noted before, I know little to nothing of the period, so I find these rule adequate (with OHW I think the more invested in a period you are, the less satisfying the rules will be, without making at least some adjustments for your pet aspects of the period) - they do tend to lead to a scrum, since units can't leave melee once engaged and forces will have at least 4 melee units. However, a large scrum of warriors is what Hollywood tells me is period correct, and I assume at least some of the writers have done the research, so it works for me. Heaven help me if I read an Osprey on period tactics though.

The main thing I have to remember with OHW is to not think I have the rules internalized - it's too easy to forget a modifier when you're a little rusty (+2 for shooting with archers for example). The other is that that men-at-arms on a hill are really hard to beat (they take 1/4 damage).

Of the other rules I have, I am most intrigued by Charlie Wessencraft's medieval rules in Practical Wargaming but that would require re-basing (as these are just Blu-Tacked to coasters it's not that big of a deal but never the less). Morschauser's shock rules could work if I used single figure "trays" and used say, 4-6 trays per unit, as the melee rules are truly brutal there.

Other areas of note:

The game officially ended on turn 10 but I could have called it on turn 7 or so, when the Nox force only had two units left. This is typical of OHW - games in my experience rarely last until 15 turns. Total time for setup and tear down was about an hour.

I played both sides and used the same solo mechanism I used for the Morschauser game the other day, because I was rooting for Nox. It clearly worked well in that "my" side lost.

The next scenario will be number scenario 11, "Surprise Attack".

12 comments:

  1. Good to see these lads out and having a bash.

    I like the way you painted Black surcoats on some of the archers to tie them in with the black armoured (Nox?) guys. Anyway, apart from the sometimes questionable 'never back off for a breather' rule, a big bash seems about right for toy knights and their foes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favorite figures! As you can see I've done nothing except mount them on coasters. I have some conversions in mind for some of those not being used presently,now that I'm not totally terrified of the idea. As they are now though, they have a planned 2 to 4 more battles in this campaign.

      I can't take credit for the archers - they came that way as part of a large lot of archers I acquired this year.

      Delete
  2. Great looking game, great figures, all's well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! I am planning to use some of these figures (well not these particular ones, some of the 'extras') for some 54mm Brin the Barbarian. One of the conversions I have in mind is to make a wizarding sort. I already have a bunch of plastic 54mm skeletons at hand (they belong to my son, but when he's asleep they're fair game!).

      Delete
    2. Sounds excellent fun John! I've used some of my sons toy soldiers before but as he's grown up now he doesn't mind

      Delete
  3. The “Shock” period would be my next project after “Modern”. But I’m still repainting the ones I have and want to do some other nations (Japanese paired with Americans or Australians).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were these not Deetails and/or previously painted by their previous owners (most of these belonged to Ross Mac before me), I doubt I would have ever gotten around to fielding anything in this period!

      Your repainting project reminds me that I really need to touch up and rebase my 1/72 Japanese and USMC figures. Better add that to my 2020 plans.

      Delete
    2. My problem is that I have taken months to get even close to finishing. Sadly this has meant no battles! Soon. Soon.

      Delete
  4. Great looking game and l enjoyed seeing your figures in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tradgardmastare! It was nice to get these figures back on the table.

      Delete
  5. Love this scenario - yes, men at arms on the hill are brutally tough to move - good luck with it! I've found that defeating the reinforcements is the only thing to do in that case.

    If you want painting encouragement, join my painting challenge here:
    https://ecw40mmproject.blogspot.com/2019/12/figure-painting-challenge-dec-15-mar-15.html#comment-form

    This actualy makes me want to hit my 40mm ECW stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played this scenario a few times in the past using his WWII rules - tanks on the hill were also a bit of a pain to remove!

      I will be heading over to your site to join the challenge momentarily!

      Delete