Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Stuart Asquith's Wargaming World War Two : First Impressions

I recently found and purchased a copy of Stuart Asquith's Wargaming World War Two online. I very much enjoyed his writing in his solo wargaming book and the WWII title was mentioned in several remembrances that I read with his recent passing. For the sum of less than $6 USD shipped it was a no-brainer.

This won't be a detailed review - as I haven't read it in its entirety yet - but perhaps at some point I should write one, as I could find little about the actual contents.


It seems fairly complete with a potted history, details about various armies, the various arms, weapons data, and rules for using it all.

Sample vehicle data.
It's probably not the latest research on the weapons and armies, but how much new has come to light about things that were already 50 years old at the time it was written?

The writing appears to be clear and concise, but friendly.

There are a couple of scenarios, too, so it's a complete package.

Desert scenario map.
I probably won't end up using the rules themselves, but they will serve as inspiration without a doubt. My first glance reaction is that they have a Battle-like approach of explaining rationale, albeit in a condensed manner and I always enjoy that kind of discussion.

7 comments:

  1. We must have what they call a psychotic link--I've just sent for the same book! I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Asquith at a convention about 10 years ago--very nice gentleman. I'm looking forward to reading his rules.

    Best regards and Happy Holidays,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris!

      I don't think you'll regret the acquisition. I was paging through it again last night, skimming chapters and enjoying the pictures of models, figures, and photographs from the war. It definitely got the ideas flowing!

      Cheers and Happy Holidays to you as well!

      - John

      Delete
  2. I'd be interested in seeing a more detailed review (if you get the time and inclination) I haven't come across this book before but I'm looking for a set of simple quick play WW2 rules that aren't all weapons charts and tables (which send me to sleep!)










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,

      Thank you for commenting! The little more time I've spent with the book has me thinking a full review is in order.

      The rules themselves are more complicated than, say, Morschauser's or Featherstone's simplified rules (from his 'War Games'), both of which I have enjoyed playing.

      Asquith's rules cover at least as many situations and weapon varieties as Lionel Tarr's rules (as appearing in Featherstone. The Tarr book from John Curry has a lot more in it) and are clearly an attempt simulate certain aspects of the period. Shooting at a tank, for example, requires armor thickness information and looking at a graph and comparing vs attacker's gun caliber - so that, to me, moves them out of the simple and quick-play category (even if it's not as involved as measuring angles in Grant's Battle).

      However, I think the biggest issue is that the rules are written to be read for an understanding of why they are as they are - that is, with explanations as to the decisions made. This is what I love about the book, but at the same time, it makes the rules less than helpful for quick reference at the table. If the book originally came with a QRS, I didn't get it with my used copy - and so one would need to be created.

      I suspect you're familiar with these options, but for what it's worth, for simple quick-play WWII games, I like:

      Morschauser with the roster option - there are "holes" in the rules though - they don't cover everything that could happen on the table, so if you're playing with someone else you'll need to hammer those things out when they arise. My recent post https://54mmorfight.blogspot.com/2019/12/morschauser-moderns-one-hour-wargames.html featured these in action - I added Featherstone's saving roll for infantry because Morschauser's rules as written have no rule for cover.

      Featherstone's simplified rules - A little more detailed than Morschauser, and using individually based figures. I love the way attacks against vehicles are resolved as they provide a variety of outcomes without reference to angle of attack or armor thickness and differ across vehicle types.

      The Portable Wargame Modern - I prefer the version without pinning. With the air support rules from Developing the Portable Wargame it covers pretty much anything that can happen and it's a familiar set of mechanisms across his other versions of the game. And, because it's a recently written set of rules, there's a large community of PW players sharing additional ideas.

      Cheers!

      - John

      Delete
  3. I don't know the book but I'm sure it will be a great addition to your collection John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely full of inspiration. I hope to have time to give it a proper reading this weekend.

      Delete
  4. got this book - came to the same conclusions.

    ReplyDelete