Sunday, November 22, 2020

Twin Objectives: Modified Morscauser Modern Rules and One Hour Wagames #21

 As hoped I managed to setup a game this weekend - scenario 21 from One Hour Wargames. The scenario was played using my modified Morschauser Modern rules.

The Soviets have four units to hold the hill and the town, the Germans have six units to take them, and 12 turns to do so.

To win the Germans need to be in exclusive occupation of both objectives, otherwise it's a Soviet victory. In keeping with some of the restrictions of OHW, only leg units may occupy the wooded hill or village. Therefore, as an added challenge, the Germans have to shield their infantry from elimination in order to win. 

OOB (generated using OHW):

  • Soviets: two infantry units, one AT unit, one mortar unit
  • Germans: three infantry units, one AT unit, two tank units.
I created a plan for the Germans pre-deployment. However, there was some confusion in the arrival on the battlefield. 

Overview of the table. Early morning sun streaming through the blinds.

Soviets deployed per the scenario, Germans used random deployment (cards, 1 per unit plus 3 blanks)

Lovely day for a scrap.

A less than ideal arrangement for the Germans meant some change in plans were necessary. The AT unit was supposed to support the hill assault while both armored units attacked the village .However, given their proximity, tan Panzer company was ordered to assist infantry in capturing the hill.

The Soviets deployed mortar and infantry in town. 

The Soviet AT would move at first opportunity to support the hill or defend the town as needed.

Soviet hill company is dug in  (unnecessary given the hills are wooded, but it reminded me they had cover)

While half of their force advanced across the battlefield, the Germans launched their assault on the hill with infantry supported by armor, and the AT on the way. The Soviet hill company was able to call down mortar strikes on the attackers although they took quite a beating regardless. 

And yet, they held on for several turns, despite a compete inability to rally and regain any lost combat effectiveness.

The German infantry were eventually eliminated- forcing the German center company to try to take the hill instead - again, only infantry can occupy the wooded hill top.

The Soviets in the village could see the infantry and Panzers advancing but could do little, read: nothing, to slow its progress at that range.



The Soviet commander, seeing the hill as possibly a lost cause, deployed the AT unit West of the village to unload on the German tanks.

Soviet guns in position - but they can't fire the same turn the unlimber.

Overview of battle. German assault on village in foreground, assault on hill in background.

The German right company advanced to silence the guns but were only partially successful.


With the German infantry occupied, the Soviets sallied forth to close with the Panzers and unleashed ATR rounds with great devastation. This left tan Panzer company to break from the hill and deal with the Soviet guns at long range. 

Salvos detonated transport vehicles and ammunition supplies, resulting in a catastrophic explosion.
A fiercely contested battle for the hill - the Soviet defenders would be sung about and praised for years after.

The German AT deployed to flank the Soviets on the hill. This was a tactical error as the Soviets were then able to withdraw to try to regroup behind the hill, out of sight of the German guns. Unfortunately for them, the advancing German infantry were able to fire on them from the superior position, eventually devastating the unit.

With the German AT freed up,  the Germans concentrated tank, gun, and infantry fire on the village (although the AT would prove to be useless - apparently they didn't bring many anti-personnel shells). 

It took house-to-house fighting to clear the last of the Soviet defenders.

Mortars gave a good accounting of themselves but could not hold out. They have a melee value of 2, compared to the 4 infantry have, so it was a surprise they dealt any damage at all.

A German victory on the last turn allotted to the game.

12 comments:

  1. Your game looks great. Is it set up on a large tray, there seem to be raised edges to the playing surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Alas that's an illusion created by folding the cloth under the plywood sheets. I have long wanted to do something like that though - possibly with a lid to keep mischievous cats from playing with my toy soldiers.

      Delete
  2. Glad you managed to have a game John - I'm afraid I failed again this weekend =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Perhaps this coming weekend will be the one?

      Delete
  3. Lovely report and photos. Thanks for posting!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I really do wonder why I drift away from this rule set. Every time I come back, I find that they are exactly what I want and give a fun and close game.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad someone is getting games in. I’m in the middle of creating the world’s largest (?) sand/desert terrain mat. I originally thought to do a 6 x 4 piece, but there is enough for a 9 x 5. Do I need such a big terrain mat? Is that a valid question? I do have the space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9x5??? That sounds like a dream. I believe there is universally applicable law that states "the size of one's gaming surface must grow in direct proportion to the size of the space in which it is used for games."

      Delete
  6. Great stuff!!

    I have been torturing myself about starting a new ww2 collection in 1/72. Hoping it will go away but it hasn't. Stems from my childhood from the late 60's and early 70's, airfix and rocco stuff.

    Although I love 32 scale, i'm getting lazy in my old age, I want to game within arms reach like I did as a kid.
    I'm thinking a 2X3 foot area. I used to game on a 6X12 foot area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      My Pacific Theater collection is 1/72 and entirely infantry. I should get them out for a go again soon. Odd, given that fielding multiple armor pieces is so much easier in the smaller scales.

      I can't fathom 6 x 12 - even when I've played at a convention, I think the biggest table I played on was 4 x 8 maybe?

      Delete