Friday, February 5, 2021

Panzer Kids! Eastern Front Edition

First game of February!

In an effort to get in some mid-week gaming, Tuesday night, I bamboozled my son into playing Panzer Kids again. Honestly, it didn't take any arm twisting once I got the tanks out.

The scenario is based loosely on my own lose interpretation of Berezovka Heights in July 1943. I decided on two victory conditions for the Germans to win - they had to clear and claim at least one hill, and get one vehicle off the board via the road. They had 7 turns to do it and they couldn't leave the table until turn 3 or after (I wanted to prevent a race down the road). Otherwise, the Soviets would win.

Vehicles in three scales on the table together - but that didn't lessen the fun.

Below the young commander (he plays both sides, I adjudicate and provide advice) studies the situation in turn 2 (I think):

He's kneeling on the floor. He's 9 and is getting closer to 5' tall every day.

The Germans managed to clear both hills and claimed one as theirs, but victory celebrations were called off when on the last roll of the last turn, the Soviets destroyed the Panzer heading for the road:


An over view of the carnage.

The last shot.

I really like this game a lot. It scratches the itch to play a game, doesn't take more than a quick skim to refresh my memory, and let's me get out my vehicles that really don't get used that much ordinarily. It's also the perfect level of complexity for my son, who isn't big on games in the physical realm. 

It holds his interest which is a minor miracle.

An aside, if you're familiar with the game then you know Panzer Kids treats hills as impassable for tanks (I suspect because it simplifies things for the intended audience) - and yet the Stug is on the hill. For this scenario I decided I would allow them to do so, because I wanted my son to have to consider who he would relegate that duty to and to realize he couldn't sacrifice his entire force just to get someone off the table.

This time we used two advanced rules: ATGs and the flanking fire rules.

I was excited by the former because I just like seeing them on the table. The latter really made things interesting from my point of view, as several times I was able to pull the commander aside and show him how different moves might expose a tank to more or less fire against weaker side and rear armor. And how he could maneuver tanks to use cover and to construct fire groups to gang up on a single target. Trying to give him a little instruction in thinking ahead and such.

Still, I was careful to let him have the final say and merely offered comparisons of possible outcomes that he could choose between.

Despite the fact that he clearly wanted the Soviets to win (he's studying Russian and Russian history), he made good decisions for the Germans and got excited to score a hit regardless of which side it was for.

It was a great time and he was super excited by the whole thing. I'm hoping to get him to play again this weekend, although I know it's probably pressing my luck!

13 comments:

  1. Thats it! Get 'em while they're young!

    I like to think of it like the old saying about teaching someone to fish....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am slowly trying to entice him into more games. It seems tanks make it easier.

      Delete
  2. Great fun for both of you, who could resist a table of tanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely help to get past his reluctance to play a non-video game!

      Delete
  3. "...super excited by the whole thing." Aren't we all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Few things give me greater satisfaction than to hear about families enjoying Panzer Kids. It’s great how you devised an engaging historical scenario and used some optional rules to add depth. Yours is a solid example demonstrating how kids can rise to the challenge and learn by playing games (even if it’s fire groups, flanking fire, and using cover). And I love the 54mm tanks and AT guns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is eager to play again - but he wants to work in some infantry. I may have to house rule some anti-tank squads. I'm thinking a much reduced range - maybe 6"? And only one or two hits (to reflect they are a team, maybe a squad at most).

      Delete
    2. I have some notes on infantry rules abandoned somewhere in my Panzer Kids folder. I’d treat AT teams as having a Speed of 2 or 3 inches, a Range of 6 (your estimate sounds about right), an Attack of +4 or maybe +5, and a Defense of 9 (they’re in cover, “hull down,” and a small, nimble target). Giving them 1 or 2 hits works. I’d limit their ammo, but I don’t think it would be an issue in a game...they’d be lucky to be in position for one or two shots at most. If you wanted a challenge, perhaps work out a hidden movement system or multiple/possible location markers, revealed only when they fire.

      I did at one time consider regular infantry teams, but really, their only chance against armor would be in close combat with explosives; having AT teams makes more sense.

      Delete
  5. Most excellent family time! Tanks are indeed hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely seems to have caught his attention more than other games I've played with him.

      Delete
  6. This looks marvellous. The joy on your son's face in the first photo is wonderful to behold! Long may it continue.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. It was a great time full of smiles. I have fond memories of throwing the baseball or a football around with my dad after dinners. I hope perhaps my son will look back fondly on these games some day.

      Delete