Friday, February 26, 2021

Rule Scribblings. Literally.

I am on track to finish my Russians in the next 24 or so hours, so I am planning for a game, perhaps as early as Sunday.

I could use any number of rules: the tried and true In Good Company, One Hour Wargames Rifle & Saber rules, or a modified version of G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., to name but three. Instead, I decided to create my own rules which draw from those mentioned, with a dose of Bob Cordery and Joseph Morschauser for good measure.

My handwriting leaves something to be desired.

These were scribbled out initially last night and then re-written /scribbled this morning.

They use a card-based initiative similar to the In Good Company model, although I am debating whether or not to include a STOP card.

I like the variable turn length, and for a solo game it can add a bit of friction in a scenario where turn count matters. On the other hand, I know I found the quick turns in my last One Hour Skirmish Wargames game more annoying than enjoyable. Partly, I can mitigate that by eliminating turns as a game decider and focus on objectives and army strength. 

I am not using the hospital from In Good Company, but, inspired by that idea, I am thinking of using the STOP card as an advantage for the "enemy" - all "not-my-side" units rally and machine guns clear their jams, that sort of thing.

Once I get a game in, I'll see how the rules play and type them up if I think I'll use them again.

3 comments:

  1. Intriguing, I await more with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the event, I went with something only loosely based on what I scribbled. They need some adjustments but otherwise were satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Still, the scribbling pic has that "diary of a madman" feel and adds atmosphere to the blog, plus suspense as to when you may go completely bonkers.
    :)
    The Variable Turn End with various accounting is used in several games. I think A Gentleman's War allows all Disordered units to return to good order, and of course OHSW completes morale checks for "Down" figs. If you are having short turns, consider removing a Joker or just lengthening the turn limit of the game.

    ReplyDelete