Monday, March 15, 2021

Simple Equation Redux (ASLSK)

Rather than move on to play scenario 4 in the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit (ASLSK) #1, I opted to try scenario 3, "Simple Equation" a second time. My goal was to apply lessons learned in scenario 2 (War of the Rats) and the first attempt at scenario 3.

This is the board at the end of the game:

End of game - turn 6.5
Two massive melees cleared the Germans out of the middle collection of buildings. Although I just barely got the US onto the top half of the map, I declared this a US victory. 

Although they had several squads reduced by either quality or casualties, the Americans were still a company+ strong at least in terms of unit count. On the other side, the Germans finished with a platoon of two regular and one conscript squad with an 8-0 leader on the left and a lone squad on the right.

I definitely learned my lessons from last time for the Americans - I concentrated my force in the middle and avoided the killing grounds on the left and right, used smoke a LOT, and advanced even if I couldn't always pin or break German units with LOS to the spaces the Americans were moving through.

In retrospect, I could have done one or two things different for the German deployment, although I don't think they'd change the outcome. More importantly, rather than fighting the Americans for every inch of ground, I should have fallen back to contain them and deny them the victory. 

Still, the Americans have better quality units, more of them, better leaders, and better squad weapons. Ultimately, this scenario is the Americans' to lose (like they did last time).

No comments:

Post a Comment