Monday, March 1, 2021

The Khan's Gambit

In the late 19th C. in one of those small states of Central Asia that have been subsumed by border changes in the century plus since, a Khan, having grown tired of watching the intrigues and incursions of both England and Russia in neighboring states, proposed to allow either to claim his kingdom as their protectorate and establish forts and garrisons without interference. His only condition was that  they must win it from the other. His own people were not to be involved in any way and the Khan himself would dictate the strategic objectives to be won.

That Whitehall and Saint Petersburg accepted this proposal might surprise the reader, and indeed it wasn't entirely the case. Commanders on the ground, eager for glory and fearful their opposites would claim victory before word had even reached their governments, acted largely on their own initiative. Even as word of the events moved up through the chains in the respective governments, officials on both sides were willing to wait and see how things played out: if victory, accolades would be awarded, if defeat, local commanders would be called out as renegades, their actions denied as representing their country. 

It should be noted, as was realized far too late by both sides, this is precisely as the Khan had planned.

But that is getting ahead of the story. For now, what matters is that soldiers of the Queen and the Czar met in battle for control of a bridge crossing the river Blast: 






















On the matter of the bridge, the English were forced to concede.

*** I apologize for the excessive photos, but I couldn't choose ***

14 comments:

  1. Looks a fun game! Great photos, btw what rules were used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The rules were a mash up like the rules I had posted previously, based on concepts from In Good Company, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., and the Portable Wargame, with Morschausers eccentric use of 4's and 6's to hit.

      They worked well but need some adjustments - some of the bits I had jotted down were forgotten in play and that tells me they probably are superfluous.

      Delete
  2. No apology needed, a pleasure to view them. The armies have come together nicely and look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! I am rather pleased with them. I find even just looking at them is enjoyable.

      Delete
  3. Its lovely to see your collection take the field. Will always prefer lots of game photos to too few. Very colourful!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! This collection will see increased use as I experiment with rules.

      Delete
  4. You cannot whack the old Blasthof bridge scenario, great stuff!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! This was my first time trying Blasthof bridge. Simple setup but plenty enjoyable!

      Delete
  5. What an attractive setup and the armies to go with them. I enjoyed the 'slide show'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Archduke Piccolo! I was worried I had overdone the pictures.

      Delete
  6. You can never have too many pictures of figures as nice as yours are! The AIP and Britains figures work beautifully together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I'm pleased with how the AIP and Britains work together. I wouldn't mix the cavalry in the same unit but with some distance between them I think they are just fine.

      Delete
  7. Lovely John! Please don't stop being you!
    ;)
    I must get my nearly completed 54mm AIP chaps done so I can have some fun as well! Uncertain if the rules will be mine, Neil Thomas, or A Gentleman's War, but we'll see...maybe all three!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! I have a Gentleman's War on my shopping list but I have yet to pull the trigger. Been concerned about my rather undersized armies compared to the examples of play I've seen.

      Delete