Thursday, April 1, 2021

Another Panzer Kids Deluxe Eastern Front Edition

Tuesday night, my son and I held another game of Panzer Kids Deluxe. This time I set it somewhere on the Eastern Front in winter.

 The Soviets had three T-34/76 tanks, while the Germans had a Tiger I and two PAK-40 anti-tank guns.

The mostly immobile Germans were no match for the speedy Soviet tanks, who also rolled better when it came to shooting.



 


 

At the cost of one tank, the Soviets captured the village.

This one wasn't a nail biter by any means -  the forces were mostly balanced cost-wise, but the lack of mobility and low defensive values for the PAKs was too much of a difference.  I should have given the Germans just one PAK and a PzIV. Still we had a fun time - plenty of sound effect making and dice rolling hi-jinx, and we can't wait to play again.

It was also nice to try out the winter table. The ground cloth is a military surplus poncho I acquired for performing at noise shows - it's far too hot to wear under lights on a stage, but it does make a decent winter landscape I think.



9 comments:

  1. That looks like a good, fun, evening's play. I really should get out my Army Men occasionally... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a bit of fun - I imagine it could work for far more vehicles on the table with ease. And most definitely should break out the army men!

      Delete
  2. Nice Eastern Front set-up! I'll admit AT guns are best when they have a wide open field of fire and start well out of range of enemy tanks. Glad to hear you're still getting good mileage out of Panzer Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! That may be the problem with my limited gaming space and the large tanks. I think next time maybe we'll return to the floor.

      Delete
  3. Looks like another great game. The poncho was very effective for your landscape purposes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I was rather pleased with the poncho as table cover. I expect I'll be using it again soon.

      Delete
  4. Looks good. Only one real way to see how something will work on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,

    Very nice set-up. A few years ago I lost my mind and acquired way too many M48 Pattons and those weird armored cars, so I've got what I need to start getting stuff back on the table. All I would need then is an opponent.... :( (By the way, if you ever need a Patton or an Armored Car, let me know!)

    I ran across this today and thought you might find it useful in some way:

    [ https://pedemann.hpage.com/anleitung-streckenpostenturm.html ]

    (And hey, it's even in German!)

    Also: Our schnoodle died last April--very traumatic as I know you know. My wife and I had decided then not to get another for a good while, but having been confined to home for a year now, and the fact that our younger son got the world's cutest poodle puppy in June (thanks a whole lot, kid), we just missed having a hairy buddy underfoot. We're currently awaiting a poodle or a poodle-mix puppy--it's been a while now, but poodles are incredibly popular. I tried finding a rescue poodle-mix, but there aren't many at shelters either. I'd be willing to get 2 or 3 rescues, regardless of breed, advanced age or minor health concern. Even he's kinda funny looking--all those dogs deserve a home, too. All the dog(s) have to be is lovable and loving. My wife is very allergic, though, so the pup needs to be a non-shedder; and she does not want to deal with age and the rest of it. Ah well.

    Best regards always,

    Chris Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      Thank you for the link! I really wish I had a color printer still. So many great paper models out there. I made a number of paper buildings in the past - a very relaxing and enjoyable process. Except for the chimneys. I hate making paper chimneys more than I dislike painting cavalry.

      I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your schnoodle. The passing of a furry friend hits very hard. I'm glad to hear you're in the process of opening your home to another dog, and a shelter one at that. Like you I'd adopt several just because they deserve a home, too. Good luck on the quest for a poodle/poodle mix. I'm confident the wait will be well worth it.

      Cheers!
      - John

      Delete