Friday, April 15, 2022

Caporetto-ish

I have long wanted to try the "Machine Age" rules in Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames. It also seemed to me that the "Late Arrivals" scenario in the same book could act as a generic place holder for an opening bout in a Caporetto-like wargames campaign - the combined German / Austro-Hungarian breakthrough of the Italian front lines in late 1917. 

Note, I consider the units to be companies with the resulting force a battalion plus a little extra.

The rules themselves required some modification - there was no cavalry in use in the theater in 1917 that I'm aware of, except as dismounted infantry, so I made any cavalry rolled into assault troops. I gave them the increased movement range as the Zouaves have in his American Civil War rules. I also gave them a +2 in close combat and they could ignore defensive cover in close combat. 

Close combat? 

Oh, I added that, too. Since units have a front-arc (unlike in the WWII rules), using his basic close combat mechanism works. However, I modified it to allow units to abandon close combat. This is to reflect the fact that troops would routinely give up their trenches, rather than fight to the end or surrender, unless they were caught completely flat-footed.

Finally, I used the opening barrage option Neil Thomas suggests.

Because my figures are mounted with a 3" frontage, I scaled all measurements in the rules accordingly, so for example, a 6" move was now 3". In retrospect, that wasn't quite right given the table size was 24" square, and the intent wasn't that the 3" base width mapped to the 6" width, but more like a 4.5"-ish width.

Speaking of the table, I tried something I've been thinking about a lot - a 2D surface to give a boardgame like look to the proceedings, inspired in part by Shambattle.

Two infantry companies hold a trench near the foot of the mountains.

An Austrian battalion led by two companies of stormtroopers advances on the hapless Italians.

Flank attacks in close combat due double damage, so they turn to face their attacker...

And end up being assaulted on their flank anyway - and eliminated shortly after.

Things went a little better on the Italian left. However, with no reinforcements on the way until turn 5, the infantry abandoned the trench line. 

The Austro-Hungarians keep moving beyond the trench, but Italian reinforcements are making their way to the front. 

An Italian infantry company with an abundance of machine guns arrives in the village.

The Italian field gun battery gets off a few rounds. I rule that once field guns fire, they stay where they are - I think i'ts odd they can move as fast as infantry.

I also rule they get -2 in close combat, because the crews didn't sign up for this kind of fighting.

Surprisingly, the field gun battery holds its own and occupies the Austro-Hungarians on the Italian left, keeping some of the pressure of the Italians in the village.

More reinforcements arrive and immediately join the fray. The tides are turning.

The company in the village is routed. The Austro-Hungarians enter, but so do the Italians.

The Italians win the battle for the village on turn 15. 

At the end of the game, both sides had two units remaining. I suspect if the game continued, the odds were high that the field gun battery would fall, allowing the Austro-Hungarians to turn their attention to the village.

My rules modifications seemed to work and without making the stormtroopers overly powerful. 

By not allowing fire into close combat, it made close combat worthwhile even for regular infantry as they could prevent the enemy from engaging all targets in ranged combat. And if the enemy chose to retreat, they would still be in range - giving an aggressive attacker opportunity to do further damage.

Giving assault troops the small advantages to reflect their training and higher morale (it was pretty low all across the Italian front on both sides generally) kept me pushing them into close combat. I had toyed with a -2 for ranged combat to drive the point home, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I'm not sure about the field guns not being allowed to move any further once they fire, but I kind of like it. I'll have to think on that a bit.

Obviously, one game is not enough to be sure the changes don't break things, but I feel confident enough that I plan to measure out and paint up a few more maps/boards based on scenarios in the book and then play out a campaign.

12 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed reading the rationale behind your game, reading the battle report and seeing the photos. The Shambattle inspired playing surface is very effective. I look forward to seeing more of your games with OHW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am thinking of a 5-game campaign using OHW. I just need to finish identifying and painting the "tables".

      Delete
  2. P.s I am currently trying out a game with OHW albeit a different period and scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them enjoyable! Which rules will you be playing? I have played OHW WWII, Medieval, Rifle & Sabre, and Machine-age, in that order.

      The WWII rules do not generally work for me as written, but I have still had a handful of games with them that I would call enjoyable. Martin Rapier has shared a modified version of the rules that work quite well.

      I quite like the Medieval rules, but I know nothing of the period and that may be why. Rifle & Sabre worked well enough for my purposes, but I happen to like individual casualties in this period more - perhaps owing to my gaming history in this period beginning with GASLIGHT.

      The Machine-Age rules are solid and I felt like they most definitely felt like something different than either Rifle & Sabre or WWII.The lack of close-combat, which I think one would be hard pressed to claim was not a common occurrence in WWI, was a strange choice especially since unlike his WWII rules, the units have limited arcs of fire. Adding them in was easy enough, and I think, a reasonable modification to model the period. My rules for Assault Troops are not necessary of course, particularly for early war. Assault units are a personal favorite of mine though, as they represent the bridge between an older style of warfare and something we would recognize as modern. Field guns are an odd choice for later war battles, but I've opted to keep them for now as I like the toys!

      Delete
  3. Love the look of the 2D battefield; like playing Kriegspiel on a flat map surface, but you get nice graphic representation of terrain.

    One-hour Wargames is a great resource. At times the rules don't seem to allow for period-specific elements, but they're easy to modify. My one beef: the lack of morale rules (though that's easily solved in any number of ways).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! The rules are indeed easy to modify which I think is a strength - as you say, they lack some period specific elements. I'm OK with the lack of morale rules most of the time - I forget who suggested it, but I often like the idea that the tabletop general should do their best to preserve their forces and pull them out of the fray when it would be appropriate to do so, rather than fighting to the last man in every unit. That said, I do like the uncertainty morale rules can bring to a game, particular solo.

      Delete
  4. Oh that battlefield looks so jolly (always wanted to use that word). Your games always show that our games don’t have to always be super realistic detailed dioramas. Thanks for reminding me of that. I might actually get more games done because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think anything I've ever done has been called "jolly" but it does seem right. I do hope you'll get more games in!

      Delete
  5. An interesting scenario based on an interesting battle. The prohibition upon artillery moving once it has fired is probably the most practical method of imposing restrictions upon their mobility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The more I've thought about the more I like that idea, particularly as they very often would not be moving by the time the battle was joined. Given their range, I think they could arguably be stationary the entire game off table for both attacker and defender.

      Delete
  6. Great game John! I love the board game quality of your painted terrain, it really looks great. And of course, the Italians won and that always makes it a good game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I think for the campaign, I will play the Italians as my army and using an event deck to give the Austro-Hungarians advantages, to see if I can prevent a "Caporetto" from happening. I really should paint up some Germans as well, with perhaps a young Rommel to lead them.

      Delete