Saturday, April 9, 2022

I'm Like Bob the Builder, but I Don't Have Wendy or Any Anthropomorphic Vehicles to Help

The latest construction project took shape after I decided I was unhappy with my original execution of my idea. 

Here's the finished product:


Going for a Mediterranean look as suits my planned campaign for the paratroops.

The 2nd floor is in two pieces so i can access either side of the bottom floor to move figures.

Really pleased with the stone work on this side.

A new low stone wall - made from two pieces of foamboard glued together.

The three buildings made from a single piece of $1.25 foamboard.

This building, as I noted, started out completely differently:


I wanted something like a water color look, like the smaller buildings I made a few years ago and that I use quite often. However, at this scale it looked all wrong and rather flat. So I hacked it into a ruin and peeled off some of the paper backing so I could create the exposed stone, as if the plaster had shattered and fallen off the house. The result is most pleasing to my eyes.

That I could get these three buildings from a single piece of foamboard somewhat amazes me.

Cost-wise these are hard to beat. $1.25 for the sheet of foamboard. $1 for the bag of maybe 50 popsicle sticks (I think I used maybe five or six), an empty pasta box (basically the same as what I believe the UK folks call cereal packet, but pasta), craft paints, Mod Podge, and hot glue (also acquired from the Dollar Tree, as was the hot glue gun). Oh and painted with brushes from the Dollar Tree. The most expensive bits were probably the Mod Podge and the hobby knife and utility knife blades .I went through five or so of the former and two of the latter.

I have two more complete sheets. I have some ideas - a mixture of ruins and intact buildings, residential and perhaps industrial or commerce related, Mediterranean and more northern Europe. The biggest issue is how much space they take up.

Part of the reason I'm doing my spring clearance is to empty a bin that I can use for the buildings and larger terrain/scenic items.

Although I haven't managed to finish a single figure yet this year, I do feel good about making some progress towards some game or another. Hopefully, this surge of enthusiasm for sitting with the craft supplies again will motivate me to finish up the figures sitting on the painting table (albeit mostly for WWI and the Venus project).

14 comments:

  1. These have worked very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find making them to be quite relaxing, so it's a win-win!

      Delete
  2. John, you now have a street to engage with..... looking good!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! Speaking of streets, i feel like I need to up my roads to match the buildings now. It never ends!

      Delete
  3. Your new buildings (or ruins) look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work John, these buildings really look great! The exposed stone, multiple floors, and the stone wall all have a very realistic feel to them! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! Due to attending a wedding in May, I have to cut back on hobby expenses, so I had to hold off on buying some BMC houses. I've tried to take inspiration from them (including measurements) but for a fraction of the monetary cost (there's definitely a time cost!)

      Delete
  5. The stonework and wood floors really stand out on some good-looking ruins. I particularly like the popsicle stick window sills and timber beams to add some easy but attractive details. Also, Dollar Tree (and dollar stores in general) are your friend for these kinds of crafts, as you well know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I was thrilled when Dollar Tree started having an actual craft section. I admit, I thought the $1 glue gun was a little "sus" (to quote my son), but it works well and suits my needs. I know there's an argument to be made against shopping for supplies there, but it's hard to beat for keeping money in your wallet.

      Delete
  6. Mediterranean and paratroopers? I need to know more about this campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured of all the people who might read that, you would be the one to find it intriguing! During my bare bones research on British paratroopers and glider troops, I stumbled on Operation Hasty (which, as a name, would not have given me a lot of confidence in the assignment!). Essentially 60 paratroopers (57 + 3 officers) dropped onto the Italian mainland to stop the Germans from destroying infrastructure as they retreated to the Gothic Line, and just basically cause havoc. The paratroops split into three groups once there, and due to a loss of radio contact, had to be told of the end of the operation by leaflets dropped from a plane. The whole thing lasted about 9 days and the paratroops suffered close to 50% casualties, but it is still considered a success.

      My plan is to do something of a fictionalized version of the operation and follow a single squad-sized element as it runs amuck attacking patrols and convoys, and preventing German demolition of bridges and such, while trying to survive for 9 days. My current thinking is that I'll do something of a narrative campaign, rather than map based, using Mythic: Game Master Emulator to handle events, although I may divide a day into 3 segments during which events can occur, and use some kind of random encounter generator. Due to the short duration of the operation, resupply (both men and materiel) and character advancement will necessarily be minimal.

      Delete
  7. Great work on the buildings John

    ReplyDelete