Friday, August 19, 2022

The Gathering Storm

Two French scouts stop at the edge of clearing. 

"Mon dieu! Regarde! là-bas!"  ("Look! Over there!")

Small blue-orange lizard warriors enter into the clearing.

Followed by their larger cousins of the marine tribes that inhabit the many coastal shoals of the Venusian continents.

A terrifying toothy jaw of a Spinosaurus led by a diminutive beast master from the inland deserts came next.

Soon, the very ground trembled accompanied by the beating of a drum echoing through the jungle.

Crashing of timber heralds the arrival of one of the formidable Tritceratops battle platforms.

The gathered warriors hiss and chant. There is an undeniable energy in the crowd as they gather at the base of an outcropping.

Two more lizard warriors, Saurion champions, emerge to the riotous cheers of the throng.

Beating spears, feet, and tails against the ground, they are on the verge of frenzy.

Suddenly there is a bone shaking roar. A great and terrifying visage bursts forth atop the outcrop. A second roar and the crowd is silenced.

From the shadow of the great beast steps the very reason for this gathering: the Shaman who has gathered the vast and varied tribes of lizard folk together to resist the men of Earth and the men of Venus.

His words, though incomprehensible to the Frenchmen hiding and fearing in the jungle, needs no translation: there will be no peace on Venus for mankind.


*****

As you have no doubt surmised, I finished painting the last originally planned figure for my lizard warriors: the lizard shaman. I say originally planned" because I came up with an army list for Fistful of Lead : Bigger Battles and this is that list. 

However, I already have ideas for expansion in part thanks to Age of Fantasy, in part because I have some extra figures (I have a lot of Wargames Atlantic lizards - the "beast master" above). I plan to put them on the howdah, and pick up 3 more Dark Heaven figures (the red/orange figures) to make a unit of 10 of those.

In any case, here are some glamour shots of the shaman.

OH, if you're getting Spider-Man vibes, good. His color scheme is based on the Mwanza flat-headed rock agama. Which, as you might guess, is nick-named "the Spider-Man lizard".




Unusually for me, I did some dry brushing, a bit of washing, and some highlighting. The figure had way too much detail to just go solid uniform color. He's also not glossy - instead I relied on Mod Podge to provide a mild sheen.

I suspect the gloss would look odd on a figure with this much detail.

The figure is from Iron Wind Metals from their Spellcasters game. It is a 54mm figure - all of the figures in the range are. I believe they are old Ral Partha sculpts, but don't quote me on that.

11 comments:

  1. Terrific!, the scouts should have been wearing brown trousers I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! I had a good laugh at that.

      Delete
  2. The dinosaurs provide some heavy support alright! I'll be interested to know how many FFL bullets it takes to terminate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question - at the very least, if they aren't threatened by anything else, the FFL will have plenty of time to get a few rounds off at a distance.

      Delete
  3. An awesomely impressive force John! Everything looks great! The shaman is really excellent and the Triceratops battle platform is so intimidating! I don't know how this army can be defeated, but I am really looking forward to the upcoming battle! Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! Still more painting to be done for them to have any of their intended opponents. At this point, I can field a unit of French with a Gatling. That is not going to be nearly enough to counter these lizards!

      Delete
  4. The Lizard Army is amazing - great work John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! This army is one I had in mind almost 2 decades ago when I started wargaming (I was very much into VSF / Lost World games like GASLIGHT and Adventures in Jimland). It's great to be able to bring it to fruition.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, StuRat. The blue/orange figures are Bones. I had a really hard time finding a supplier of a Bones lizard with bow, so I ended up with Dark Heaven.

    ReplyDelete