Wednesday, August 31, 2022

World War I Updates

I completed the second machine gun and crew for the Austro-Hungarians (I use the German mg and crew from Irregular Miniatures, with gasmask heads because gasmasks look cool) and with that, phase 1 of my WWI armies, for Austro-Hungary at least, is complete.

We'll call this a battalion of three 6-figure companies with a stormtrooper company in front,

I haven't decided if I'm keeping the Green Tea base color or not, hence the plain wood rounds.

Now obviously, when someone says something like "Phase 1"that implies a "Phase 2". Indeed, that is the case here. 

Of course, these phases, so-called, were derived after the fact, thus the labels are being retroactively applied.

Phase 1: 

  • 18 infantry figures
  •  6 assault troops
  •  1 leader
  •  2 machine guns with crews. 

The Italian gun and crew are in the queue and have jumped to the front:

Irregular Miniatures British HMG and crew, with Adrian helmeted heads from their Empire  Multi-parts range,

Phase 2:

For both sides: 

  • 6 additional infantry figures (giving me 4 companies for my battalion, when using 6-figure units),
  • 1 airplane

For the Italians: 

  • 2 additional cavalry figures 
  • 6 Alpini figures
Phase 3:
  • 12 Germans
  • 12 British 
  • 1 German MG
  • 1 British MG

"Now, hold on there, Jethro!", I hear you say.  "What's this about an airplane?" 

Well, I acquired a print copy of Contemptible Little Armies and I really like the way air support is included on the table. Before I could say "contact!", I had a 1/48 scale model whizzing through the mail to me:


The search for a suitable (i.e. cheap and not difficult to assemble) kit for Austro-Hungary continues. 

I haven't built a model plane in nearly 40 years. I'm a bit nervous about the painting. And I've always hated applying decals(I always tore them accidentally). The 1/48 scale should hopefully be easier for my all-thumbs-itude and my sketchy vision to deal with, at least.

Finally, also World War I, but on the weird side, I have assembled my 1/35 ICM French

They remind me of game pieces in this grey state.

Let me be clear, I love these figures. The poses are fantastic, the sculpting is crisp, and the figures very clean with no flash and minimal, easily removed, mold lines. HOWEVER, I doubt they will last more than a game or two, if they survive painting. 

Apparently, the difference between 1/35 and 1/32 is that in 1/35, bayonets are skinny little needles that break when you look at them wrong (both of those pictured are glued together somewhere in the middle of their length as a result). That the bolts on the rifles were a separate piece to be attached with glue defies all logic that I can muster.

At least I somehow managed to glue the bi-pod on the LMG the right way.

As I said, this is a Weird World War I project (and ICM is helping by suddenly releaseing a bunch of sets of figures in the attempts at armor made during the war). Weird means there needs to be something, well, weird. First up:

This is in-progress. I have yet to decide on how I'll finish i off

This is a hook horror from CP Models. It is intended as a larger than human-sized 28mm figure. But, I wrote to the proprietor and found out just how big.


I think it fits quite well with the 1/35 figures. It doesn't look bad next to my 1/32 HaT Spanish Infantry either (which are undersized). 

Painting for the entire Weird War I project is intended to be grittier than my usual glossy toy-soldiers to convey the weird aspect in visual form.


Oh and one last thing, I recently learned of Never Going Home, a WWWI RPG. Savage Worlds has its own Weird World War I books, which I will acquire eventually, but I managed to score the entire Never Going Home PDF collection via a Humble Bundle deal. Highly recommend if just for the evocative artwork!

12 comments:

  1. Your battalion looks really splendid. I do like their glossy look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I like the Green Tea bases John, I think they look great! The Austro-Hungarian units look awesome, very well done! The planes are a great idea, they'll add a new dimension to the game! And finally, "The Hook" and the ICM figs reminded me of the great old comic, "Weird War Tales!" Always a lot of fun to read and I think that your game will be excellent too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian! I like the Green Tea a lot, it's just harder to source lately. The basic green that I use for my Deetail Medieval figures is also difficult to acquire without paying 5x the price it should cost (it's CeramCoat, it shouldn't cost more than Vallejo or Citadel!)

      Delete
  3. Great job on your battalion. I look forward to seeing your work on the 1/48 Nieuport 17. I have several in 1/72. I favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! I am going to do a bit of research into how best to paint the model and apply the decals. Two areas that eluded me in my youth.

      Delete
  4. The ICM are lovely, but you're right, they are fiddly. I've got a German HMG which I never built, buying the irregular HMGs instead. Will you be using Trench Hammer with the Weird World War One?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how long the figures last. Unfortunately, I really want French in gas masks - while I can assemble appropriate figures from Irregular's muti-part range for the British and Germans, they don't have an Adrian with gas mask. I suppose, if push comes to shove, I can lop the faces off some Armies in Plastic French and green stuff something into place.

      I haven't decided on rules - the games will be at a level lower than Trench Hammer as written. I am leaning towards Fistful of Lead with the Tales of Horror supplement. To Be Continued (GASLIGHT) or even an RPG light game have also crossed my mind.

      Although, thinking about it, I think Trench Hammer might work quite well where each figure is assigned a squad type (rifle, bomber, lewis operator, etc), but still treat them as individual characters, with 7 HP (or 8 HP if playing the in-progress 2nd edition). The problem becomes retrofitting in monsters and such.

      Delete
  5. This seems to be all coming together very nicely! (Being WW1....and wierd...does that worry you? Does ominious music play in the background when you touch them or look too long?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the music more creepy than ominous. Like a scratchy copy of "For Me and My Gal" playing on a warbly Victrola in a command dugout in an abandoned trench.

      Delete
  6. I’ve been looking at Weird WW1 as well. Have you seen the new Forbidden Psalm: The Last War rules: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/396497
    The Kickstarter has more info as well if the full preview is not enough to give you an idea.
    I have the demo document if you’d like me to send it to you that is a lite version of the rules but fully playable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not and it is now in my shopping cart! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete