Monday, November 7, 2022

1917 Fictional Strafexpedition Game 2

Major Neurath was ordered to press on with 5th and 6th company, 2nd battalion, Sacher regiment, to support the stormtroops of 3rd company,501st battalion, lead by Hauptman Mahler, in their effort to capture Fromagio. The trench line was held by 9th Company, 3rd battalion, 212th Regiment supported by a machine gun platoon.


The attack was preceded by a heavy barrage on both the left and right trenches.

That pile of blankets in the upper right is actually our dog.



The Italian machine gun platoon quickly reduced the numbers in 5th company.


But further scheduled artillery cleared the right trench and 5th was able to take it without opposition thereafter.

However Italian reinforcements arrived and launched a counterattack to reclaim the trench.


On the left, the stormtroops easily overran the few remaining defenders, and Neurath redirected 6th company from planned attack route to instead aid 5th company. Meanwhile, an additional Italian company had arrived and moved into positions within Fromagio.


With the right trench cleared, the stormtroops, supported by an MG platoon, assaulted the town.


With the remnants of 5th company (amounting to less than one platoon) holding th right trench, 6th company proceeded per their original attack plan, and moved to attack Fromagio from the West. However, Lt. Colonel Dattoli arrived with another of his battalions MG platoons to the rear of 6th company which forced them to break off their attack to deal with the threat.


Although not pictured, the fighting was fierce. 6th company was badly mauled by the machine guns before they were silencedt. Major Neurath, who had reluctantly moved up to aid 6th company, was killed by none other than Lt. Colonel Dattioli in a dramatic shoot-out. The Lt.Colonel himself being wounded and captured by a squad from 6th company.

Meanwhile, the battle within the town limits raged, with the stormtroops emerging victorious in the end. 

It was a costly win for the Austro-Hungarians. 

Major Neurath (admittedly as much a liability as anything) was killed, as was Hauptmann Hass of 5 company (in the storming of the right trench when it was still held by the Italian machine gun platoon). 5th and 6th company were both nearly wiped out by casualties, as were the stormtroopers. As such, the advance by 2nd battalion on this prong of Sacher Regiment's attack must halt.

On the plus side, the capture of Lt. Dattioli, to join his 2nd in command, Major Lizzio, was something of potentially great value.

The next game will take a look at how 1st battalion did on their advance.

15 comments:

  1. Great stuff! The trenches work very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! After hemming and hawing about the trenches, I found some inspiration on eBay looking at old toy soldier displays.

      Delete
  2. Good little game. I like the mountains! Simple but effective for setting the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! I was quite happy with the mountains. I only wish I had made one or two more to fully block off that section of the table.

      Delete
  3. Another exciting battle John with excellent terrain! The village and mountains really work very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad! I really want these battles to have very clear toy-soldier DNA and I think this terrain fits the bill.

      Delete
  4. Unusual WWI theatre of operations especially in 54mm. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Jonathan! I am quite fascinated by this oft-neglected theater. I had originally thought I would do it in 1/72 but the toy soldier look won out as it so often does for me. Fortunately Italian infantry are readily available from Waterloo 1815 and Dulcop and the Armies in Plastic Germans work well enough for late war Austro-Hungarians if you don't look too closely at the kit.

      Delete
    2. This theatre may be oft-neglect but it is one of my favorites for WWI land campaigning via hex and counter gaming. I have several games that I enjoy highlighting these battles.

      Delete
    3. Do you have one in particular you recommend? I have Burning Mountains, which I have enjoyed playing. I'm asking Santa for the S&T Caporetto game in issue #337. Gorizia 1916 also is very tempting.

      Delete
  5. Have you thought any more about your Weird War 1 idea? ICM have quite a few 1/35 scale sets out now with lots of gas masks and a host of bizarre armoured soldiers for the various nations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have acquired a few different rule systems. I'm thinking very small skirmish, say 3-5 figures. Almost dungeon crawl-esque. My ebay watch list is filled with ICM offerings! My immediate plans are to finish painting the French and to acquire some ICM or Irregular (54mm but slight compared to most plastic figures I have) Germans in gas masks (in case they either encounter each other in a fight or end up having to team up to fight the Weird). No doubt I'll be asking Santa for some of the armored figures.

      Delete
  6. I have just caught up to this point. What a wonderful campaign John. The three games so far have been quite different and all really interesting. Lovely photos of the figures in action, as ever.
    I enjoyed reading about your own 'cherry picking' of mechanics to make your own rules (which I also like to do).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy cherry picking rules too! Don’t we all?

      Delete
    2. Thank you, James! I admit, I sometimes feel guilty about mashing rules together. However, I was reading something, I think in Lone Warrior, where the author described doing that and I thought "that really is the way to go!"

      Delete