Thursday, October 27, 2022

To Every Season

Yesterday was my dad's birthday.  He would have been 76. He passed away late August. My trip in early September was for his funeral service and to spend some time with my mom, sister, and niece (they live in the same neighborhood).

This post isn't really about my dad though other than that it in part explains why my posting has diminished a bit and will continue to do so. I had already been doing that intentionally per my New Year's plans but his passing was cause for much reflection (I drove 14 hours each way so that gave me plenty of time to contemplate!) which hasn't really stopped.

There is much to do and that I want to do beyond gaming and so I need to make some changes. I'm not going anywhere mind - twice a month posting will be more likely however, if that.

My hope is to make better use of my hobby time. In addition to playing games I most enjoy - focusing primarily on WWI and Fantasy (be it on Venus, the Great Game Gone Hot, or some imaginary place) because I realized I play WWII not out of deep fascination but by default - is to contribute to the hobby enjoyment of others.

That means more comments on others' posts to encourage them to continue posting, participating in forums, sharing useful sources of information, rules/procedures that might be useful, encouraging people to submit posts to the Lone Warrior blog (as the website manager, I handle editing blog post submissions) and running more games (RPG mostly) for family and friends.

As proof that work continues apace on my hobby related interests,  I am making "terrain", so to speak, for game 2 of the 1917 Stafexpedtion mini-campaign.

Here, too, is the current state of my painting table (aka the kitchen table):

Figures from Armies in Plastic, HaT, ICM, and CP Models. The house is from Target a year or two ago finally getting a simple paint job.

21 comments:

  1. My condolences on the loss of your father.

    The hobby should offer reprieve and relaxation from everyday life. Toward that end, concentrate on what gives you joy and satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences. Always good to read what you are up and as someone who else blogs actual play (solo RPGs mainly) I too struggle with that balance of "I'm really only doing this to encourage more people to join me in the hobby" and "I thoroughly enjoyed this for myself so here it is."

    Thanks for the reminder about the Lone Warrior blog... I kinda lost track of that one. I see there's something up on solo Kriegsspiel which is a passion of mine so I'll take a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shawn.

      Blogging games is a difficult balance - I had to let my previous blog go in part because I couldn't tell anymore why I was playing (for me or to share posts with readers).

      As for Lone Warrior, do check it out. I'm not sure the title of that blog post is exactly accurate, but I let the writers choose their own titles :) Make sure you check out the sample articles! They rotate with a new one added each month. We actually had one earlier this year on playing Traveller solo (I peeped your page!)

      Delete
    2. If you are interested, most of solo RPG stuff is not on my personal site but over here: https://post79.com

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Looking forward to reading my way back!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for carrying on with your great blog. Sorry about your dad; mine died late last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And sorry to hear about the loss of your dad as well. As for the blog, I don't think I could ever totally stop - I started 11 years ago (different blog). It's just part of the hobby for me.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, much too soon. Luckily, memories often linger long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross. I happen to look a lot like my dad and I also seem to have inherited his handwriting (it's weird, but my scribble looks like his scribble a lot), so , happily, memories come to mind often.

      Delete
  5. Sad to hear about your dad. You've had a busy year but I always love seeing something new and inspiring on your blog (and seeing your hand in the Lone Warrior). Here's hoping as we descend into the darkest part of the year we all find some bright spots to lift our spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences about your father. I've done the long drive home and back under similar circumstances, so have a sense of the life sorting that can go on (that plus having reached several other mile posts in life since). Not a bad thing to reset the hobby every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss John, I lost my dad a year ago. It's really hard, but I do feel like time has a way of healing all wounds. I have focused on family and our hobby, this has really helped me a great deal. Take all the time you need, and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear of your recent loss John. A few years back I lost a parent. It took me four seasons to finally put everything into its proper context. I recently returned to my researches. To my surprise, have still found time to post occasionally, just as a break from my writing, etc. Anyhow, you have told your 'regulars' what is happening. Keep well!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss - and for the delay in saying so. I've been trying to leave a comment for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The passing of a parent is such a moving and momentous time. The old adage that it brings home your own mortality is so true isn't it? It's great that you have constant reminders in aspects of your own idiosyncrasies. I hope that it brings feelings of warmth and joy as well as that pang of loss.
    I know exactly what you mean about making the most of hobby time. Over the past five years or so I have come to a 'position' that sounds a lot like yours; and am enjoying every moment that I have for any 'hobby time'.
    I hope that the tears of loss will soon be replaced with more of the warm remembrances (and those occasional, brief instances of sadness that come out of the blue),
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, my quick thought is that grieving is a process, not a destination, so take time with your process. Happy to add to that if needed.

    On the one hand, I feel like I will miss seeing your posts. On the other hand, I think I hear that you will visit more often and comment on mine, so I guess I can live with that! :)

    God bless, Alex

    ReplyDelete