Thursday, April 6, 2023

Painting Update

We interrupt this WWII skirmish campaign to bring you this update. As I had mentioned previously, I had turned to painting to deal with the grief of Peppermint's passing. The result has been a bit of unanticipated output which seems to be sustaining for now.

Up first: Tanitia's forces are on the move!

With the last two of my black-orange-lined figures finished, I have completed my original planned force for the Tanitians, 

We have an overall military leader (standard bearer), a military hero (the one with the raised shield), a unit of orange-with-black-line bearing Mythos symbol shields, a warrior priestess (the real leaders of this society), the abyssal beast (actually, they're the ones most in charge I suspect), and a unit of black-with-orange-line (who are my favorite now).

Using two or three figures for a Portable Wargame Ancient's unit gives me some decent sized "armies" for bigger battles, if I so choose.

Here is the black-with-orange-line unit - don't ask me to ID which ones were the most recently finished!

I have a few more of the SCS Direct mermaid figures I can convert into warrior priestesses. The SCS box also came with a number of, what I can only guess are, female elf types. I have enough for a ten-figure unit so they could serve as adepts perhaps. 

That is, when I feel like dealing with this paint scheme again!

The Roman force, and Tanitia's primary opponent, which I'm calling Res Publica, is on the paint table now - just three figures to start, but as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. They will be painted in a more traditional fashion, albeit with a very unnatural yellow for their skin.

Perhaps less exciting, I finished eight more Austro-Hungarians. I've also rebased my WWI collection to four-figure 3" squares. I really wanted at least one collection to reflect my love for Morschauser.

Two 3" squares can serve as an 8-figure unit (say, for One Hour Wargames) or each square can be its own thing. All of this is anticipation of a campaign I wish to play through later in the year or early next (depends on how long it takes me to paint up more Italians, to bring both sides' assault units up to snuff, the Italian cavalry, and to finish the planes for each side). Because the details aren't nailed down, my conception of what the units represent isn't set yet either.

There's a good chance I'll add one more 8-figure infantry unit, for a total of four. I have plenty of Italians, but I will need more Armies in Plastic figures for the Austro-Hungarians. But not all of them, which means I'll have the start of a small contingent of Germans.

It's funny how things work out like that!


6 comments:

  1. Your Tanitian force is stunning John! The creativity, skill, and imagination that you used to create them is really impressive! Very well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like your 'Greek pottery' colour schemes for your Army of Tanitia - imaginative and striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the end result, but I hope to not paint any more of them anytime soon :D

      Delete
  3. "What they said!" Excellent and original. (I particularly admire originality and imagination.)

    ReplyDelete