Monday, September 18, 2023

More Fantasy Figures from the Pile of Plastic

I have been enjoying painting of late and so I continue digging into the pile of Reaper minis I have and painting whatever looks interesting. There's no particular plan for the figures - they were acquired (and used for years unpainted) for role-playing games and they still serve that purpose. However, they can easily form into Age of Fantasy warbands or maybe even Song of Blades and Heroes (which I haven't played in a long time).

The paint jobs aren't spectacular, but they represent a growth in my painting techniques. And you can see, now that I have a formula for black highlighting I intend to use it everywhere! 

Give a man a hammer and the world becomes a nail!

I used to spend a lot of time going to goth clubs. She looks like someone I used to see out at the club and so I painted her that way. I wanted to do something more cyber-gothy with her hair, but I don't have any neon paints.

"Gotta keep movin, gotta keep movin', hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail"

Waaaggghhh!

The G.O.A.T.

Harryhausen-esque Number 2 .Metal not plastic like the above. Ral Partha not Reaper. I believe the date on the base was 1991 or 1993. I forget and it's glued down now.

The shading (either Army Painter Strong Tone, Citadel's Agrax Earth Shade, or Citadel's Nuln Oil) leaves a gloss behind, and is visible mostly in the deeper recesses where shadow should be. I recently picked up some matte varnish in hopes of dulling the shine on since it looks odd that the shadows are shiny.

I did a test run on an older glossy 28mm figure and it worked a treat, so I'll apply it to these eventually.

4 comments:

  1. You continue churning out an interesting mix of models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you freeze your ability to purchase new models, you have to make do with all of those past projects!

      Delete
  2. Splendid work on these figures John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! Although I'm able to make some warbands for Age of Fantasy: Skirmish, most of my Reaper Bones figures have at best two or three of a given type. So, I'm planning on breaking out "The Quests of Brin the Barbarian" again as they suit a hero (and side kicks) against smaller groups of foes, without resorting to playing a straight-up RPG.

      Delete