Tuesday, September 5, 2023

WWI Hobby Updates as Opposed to Updates on the Actual Event Which Ended a Long Time Ago

In between near constant D&D with my son (or that's what it seems like - we play a lot now. We just played four days in a row thanks to the Labor Day holiday weekend), I have been assembling and painting my WWI Germans to pit against my French. 

They are ICM WWI German Assault Troops in 1/35. As with Legos, I've discovered I enjoy putting figures together. Not painting them so much,but assembling them is relaxing.



To accompany the additional troops, I thought it was a good time to paint up another monster. I grabbed one from my plastic and lead pile (this one is metal!)

I have no idea who makes this figure - it was given to me six or seven years ago.



It has a very Ray Harryhausen look to it. I've painted it to the Games Workshop table-top ready standard. That is, base coats, wash, second base coat. I didn't do any highlighting on it. 
 
I have a second similar one on the paint table that is even more Hasrryhausen-esque.
 
I'm fairly certain this, and it's unpainted fellow, is intended for 28mm/Heroic 28mm use, but it works great with 1/35. Incidentally, this seems to be true of a lot of monster figures - they work as human-sized or slightly larger than human-sized in 1/35. They tend to be a little short compared to 1/32 to be intimidating unless there is a horde of them  (like my 28mm lizards).

In addition to painting, I've been playing lots of test games - having returned my WWI figures back to single-figure basing but still trying to reduce the playing surface - 24" square or 24" x 36"-ish playing areas. The rationale for the small area is that WWI units are more compact than WWII generally. A company in WWI has roughly the frontage of a platoon in WWII. I'm also not super interested in maneuver on the table - I can handle that off table on a map (any excuse to make a map is a good excuse)

For rules, I've been trying:
  • Bayonets & Spades, a fan-made variant for Bolt Action 2nd edition, which you need as well to make use of the variant.
  • Contemptible Little Armies 3rd edition (CLA going forward), 
  • H.M.G. (by Agema). 
The scenario I have been playing is pretty small for any of those sets - a single unit of Austrian infantry and an MG hold a trench against an Italian assault of three units. Simple as it is, I enjoy it every time.

A turn or two into a Bolt Action WWI game. Both sides have suffered some losses. This is the first time I have added craters to no-man's land. They provide "soft" cover.

The unit sizes vary based on the rules. 
 
The Austrians use 10-figures in Bolt Action as the minimum for a section and nine figures for H.M.G. as a company. I use 10 for CLA  but it's not prescribed by the rules nor do the rules prescribe what the units represent - based on my research, 10-12 figures is pretty typical to represent everything from a section on up, with company and battalion being prevalent.
 
The Italians use 8 figures in Bold Action and H.M.G., for a section and company respectively, The minimum Italian section in Bolt Action is 5 figures for all but Arditi, who require 3 figures -I chose 8 because it looked better to my eyes and matches H.M.G. Speaking of, in H.M.G., 8 figures is a Bersaglieri company, a regular infantry company has 15 figures. Again I chose10 in CLA - for the same reason as I chose 10 for the Austrians.

Caught up in the action up close! Bolt Action again.

Similar moment from a CLA game.

CLA again, just because I love the coronet! (It looks to me like it has valves, making it not a bugle)

There are good things about each set of rules.

Worse, I enjoyed all of them! What a terrible poblem to have. 

I guess I'll just have to play more games.

6 comments:

  1. Nicely painted figures, interesting post, and I do agree with your Harryhausen remark concerning the creature.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! As a longtime fan of the various Harryhausen stop-motion monsters, it was a real joy to bring this one to life in my own way.

      Delete
  2. Your latest Germans and that monster look terrific. Great jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! I'm inclined to pick up some more 1/35 - British in gasmasks and Italians and Germans in armor are all tempting, as I really enjoy seeing the figure come together from parts. Even if sometimes I can't tell what a part is supposed to be!

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that your son is enjoying gaming John, he's a chip off the old block! I love the coronet too, that is an excellent figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled he finally seems to have found something he likes to do in addition to video games. Nothing against video games, in moderation!

      Delete