Monday, December 4, 2023

Nurgle's Rotters Linemen

Earlier in the year I picked up a box of Nurgle's Rotters for Blitz Bowl - the box was damaged, so the price was well below retail and I couldn't pass it up. The figures inside were fine.

I made a mental commitment to get all of my Blitz Bowl teams assembled and painted this year (the two from the boxed game, and the Rotters). 

With time left in 2023 running out, the Nurgle linemen are ready to take the field

Their skin looks a little dirty as opposed to highlights/shadows but I am not going to correct it at this point. I tried a technique that was new to me (found on youtube) and it was a learning experience. Frankly, they look comparable to the ones I painted "the Citadel way" previously, with about 2/3rds the effort.

The technique, such as it is, involves using fairly bright colors for your base coats,then heavily dry brushing with an even brighter version of the color, before washing with a dark wash. The idea is that the wash will bring the bright colors down to a shade in the recesses, a middle tone in the middle areas, and the super bright highlights will wash down to a normal highlight color.

Indeed, it does work.

However, in many spots I did not dry brush heavily enough (that's the lesson learned), and so many of my highlights ended up too muted. I did touch the figures up and spot washed those areas i felt needed a highlight, but I'm not gong to redo the flesh to be less grimy looking. They're Nurgle's Rotters after all (even if you don't know who Nurgle is, Rotter tells you all you need to know).

I have three more Rotters to paint (two Bloaters and a Pestigor) and I'll probably use the same technique just for a consistent look for the team.

The bright green pools on the bases are supposed to be slime/nuclear waste-type stuff. It's just PVA mixed with some Moot Green (Citadel) and Lime Sherbert (Apple Barrel). It was then gloss varnished to give it a wet look. It looks a little more like spilled paint than I'd like but my son thought it was really cool, so that's good enough for me!

2 comments:

  1. Great paint jobs John! They do look disgusting, which in this case is a compliment! And if they're son-approved, that is the highest praise!

    ReplyDelete