Sunday, December 17, 2023

PSA: One Page Rules Patreon

When I was first trying to come up with a scenario for the annual Christmas game (this year is the third year!), I realized that I really needed to know what rules I was going to use, or I wouldn't be able to plan things outside of broad strokes.

Scene from tonight's playtest. Yes, that hedgehog did blow up that kubelwagen, with grenades and spells (it's a psykker/caster). 

We had a good bit of fun at this year's Family Fall Festival with One Page Rules Grim Dark Future: Firefight 

Everyone picked up the rules quickly and they could engage in some RPG-lite, have spotlight moments when their abilities made something cool happen, and they enjoyed discussing the tactics and how best to utilize special abilities to benefit the rest of the party.

So, it was a no-brainer really.

While I am happy to use the free force builders, and reskin things as needed, I learned that if you join the OPR patreon, you get access to the web app that you can use to build custom army lists. 

It is absolutely worth the price of admission ($5 USD/month and you can cancel anytime). There are other benefits too, like free copies of the full rulebooks (1 per month - which are available for sale on Wargamevault otherwise).

Each of the player character figures for the Christmas game is now stated out in a manner that makes them unique and reflects the type of animal they are.

You can even create your own custom weapons. For example, the beaver has "tail slap" as a close combat weapon. Much more evocative than "CCW" (close combat weapon).

I highly recommend joining the patreon if you enjoy the free OPR rules already and your toys aren't GW sci-fi or fantasy standards.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you have started in on planning the Christmas game John! And the fact that you have found this new organizational tool will hopefully make your job easier! It's starting to look a lot like Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! I think you may be more excited than most of my players!

      Delete
  2. Hedgehog with grenades! Sounds like great fun John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep things entertaining beyond the game play itself - my players aren't wargamers. There's something about cute animals doing cool battle stuff that works every time!

      Delete