Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Miscellaneous Mid-Week Meanderings

Life has taken a turn for the busy - between the day job, side hustle, and the band, and oh yeah, dad-life, just not a lot of time to hobby. Writing for the blog has taken the back seat to everything else.

I've played a couple of One Hour Wargames "Machine Age" (with my mods) games.  Last night I played the "Shambolic Command" scenario and discovered my variable movement rules need some adjustment for cavalry falling back after a charge. 


I am also inclined to give assault troops and any unit in cover, some kind of bonus when checking morale. It just feels like sometimes the morale failures really up (literally - lots of little dice on the table!) 

One of these days I'm going to label the bases and use an old school roster sheet to track damage.

On the painting front, I've made some progress on the Necrons. I'm painting them in the Novokh dynasty color-scheme (per my son's request). I have no preference and the fact that it uses the same reds that I used for the Blood Ravens is a plus.

The scarabs, foreground, are my favorite.

I was skeptical of the value of the "Necron Compound" dry-brush paint, but I like the end result: a very metal looking skeletal frame.

These are still a WiP bunch - this is just one or two coats of Army Painter Dragon Red. It's somewhat translucent and, over the Lead Belcher/Nuln Oil wash, it has created some highlighting effects already. 

I'll be doing a proper highlight after the next coat and some Caribou Crimson wash - I hope to have this batch done by the end of the week. However, I expect the weapons will be a bit of a challenge to get the look I am aiming for, so we'll see!


4 comments:

  1. The Necrons look great John! When I think back to that pile of bits that you started with, the end result is really amazing! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! There's definitely something satisfying about turning bits of plastic into something recognizable.

      Delete
  2. The Necrons and Scarabs are superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan! I really like the simplicity of the color scheme - it has a sort of sports team vibe.

      Delete