Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Necron Nightmare

 How it started:

Necron pieces - removed from sprue by previous owner. Do not do this!

How it's going:

I do like the assembled figures though.

If I ever meet the individual who thought cutting the bits off the sprue all at once was a good idea, I'm going to give them a right proper thrashing. It's no wonder they gave up and sold the game (Fire Team) to Noble Knight.

It should have been maybe a 20 minute job to assemble them. Instead, it took hours of my Saturday, with breaks to maintain sanity.

These figures are push-fit and each one is designed to go together in a particular way. However, once free of the sprue, there's no way to tell which piece is which part number. Even better there were EXTRA bits to throw me off!

Trial and error - aided by a magnifier and looking for key details between the piece in hand and the assembly instructions ("Oh this arm has a little thingy that sticks out" or "Oh this blade has a thick bar compared to the others" or "The head in the picture has a line above the right eye and this tiny little bit of plastic does not") saved the day.

Unfortunately, in the process of trying different arms on different torsos, I ended up breaking a few of the arms (they are rather thin near the shoulder joint and near the wrist) - so I'm down three Necrons as a result. Also the heads are tiny and apparently designed to bounce a great distance upon contact with a remotely hard surface. I spent quite a bit of time on hands and knees combing the floor for the little buggers - I did manage to retrieve them all, although there were far more heads than torsos.

I will try to repair the broken arms with Super Glue,but the contact points are quite small - and even then, I don't know which body they go with, so there's only a 1 in 3 chance I get it right on the first try. And if I get it wrong, with repeated handling there's a good chance I'll break the arm again.

Replacements have already been purchased on eBay!

8 comments:

  1. This brings 3D-puzzles into a new dimension....
    - Off course all the smallest parts finds their way to the floor, only to be found in the most unlikely places. I've also found that 'unbreakable parts' usually brakes inn the same fall as well.
    You seems to have a good sense of patience.
    Good look on your army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger! Any illusion of patience is due to the fact that I had a couple of days to cool off!

      Delete
  2. A nightmare indeed John, I don't know how you did it! I never would have had the patience, but you did a wonderful job getting them together and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! If it weren't for the fact that they are for my son (well, to entice him to play at least), I would have binned the bits there and then!

      Delete
  3. Great work John - I couldn't have bothered with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! I threw my hands up in disgust more than once. But as I mentioned above to Brad - they're to entice my son into playing more games with me (he's into Necrons lately), so I was determined to salvage what I could.

      Delete
  4. A very tricky situation and a lot of perseverance required by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motivation - my son having an interest in Necrons - was the only thing that kept me going. Otherwise, I'd have scrapped the whole thing!

      Delete