Friday, August 16, 2024

Birds of a Feather

Originally, I had picked up a few (four) Dollar Tree pterosaurs to paint up as sort of a stand-in for "Parrot Men" of Venus. But that seemed like a lot of work to paint in the way I was imagining. And so they sat in the dinosaur bin (yes yes, i know they are reptiles, not dinosaurs).

Recently, I had the obvious idea to use them for Dactyl Riders for Age of Fantasy. The figures are rather plain looking but they have a lot of texture (Fur? I don't know. It's a Dollar Tree toy, I make no claims of paleontological accuracy), so I slathered them in Agrax Earthshade and then touched up beaks and claws. 

They looked good enough, if a bit drab, so one I did with Carroburg Crimson to give it a reddish look. 

And then decided that one looked vaguely male cardinal like, hence the black around its eyes and its orange beak.

Armies in Plastic legionnaire for scale.

Here is one in its naked state:

 
Now, I did try to use Wargames Atlantic lizards as riders but their legs just wouldn't fit easily and since Age of Fantasy is not WYSIWYG, I'll just pretend they have riders.

Still, since I had the Wargames Atlantic lizard box out, I figured I'd make two more red-tailed skinks:

Pilots posing with their planes.

Why two?

Because I paint in threes, and since I had done one as a demo (a long time ago), I needed two more to count as the first three! 

My plan, now,  is to eventually paint ten to use as a unit of Saurian Warriors when fielding an all 28mm force for playing Age of Fantasy with others (who typically don't game in 54mm).

7 comments:

  1. Great conversions!
    They looks scary!!
    Ancient/Fantasy 'Stukas'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger! For the limited investment of time and money, I am more than happy with them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Maudlin Jack! Now I just need to them into a game!

      Delete
  3. Your imagination and creativity never fail to amaze me John!! And you accomplish it all at bargain rates, Dollar Tree indeed! You make them look like some expensive modelling kit! Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! You are too kind!

      Delete
  4. Look great! I'm sure some riders will come long at some point... skinks / lizards seem like the right theme.

    ReplyDelete