Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Works in Progress

Due to my desire to start everything at once, I have lot's of figures for the Venusian campaign in various stages of not-done-yet.

The Tanitians (Venusian Carthaginians) are slowly coming together. Finding that I could get the right width Micron pen for black-lining has sped things up a bit. As has the discovery on a web forum that if you seal the figures before using the pen, it won't gum up the tip and it goes on smoother.

Touch ups are still a pain - no orange paint I have can cover black in less than three coats.

For shield designs I'm mixing sort of historical with totally made-up. It is an Imagi-nation after all.

I realize these will cause some pearl clutching among the purists, but while the color STILL is not right for red-figure pottery, I think they do have an interesting effect in a group and I'm committed to seeing this idea through. There will be 10 figures per unit, and likely three units total.

Next up are some additional 28mm Reaper Bones lizards with a Reaper Dark Heaven standard bearer.

The red lizard color scheme is a  nod to all of the Warhammer lizard Age of Sigmar stuff I see online.

While GASLIGHT is pretty much focused on 10-figure units, Fistful of Lead Bigger Battles suggests 12+ figures for tribal infantry. Being cheap and lazy, I'm stopping at 12 - 10 Bones with 2 Dark Heaven command pack figures (standard bearer picture, dual sword wielder not pictured). I decided the Dark Heaven, because of their different look, are an entirely different variant of lizard warriors. They tend to be exceptionally vicious in combat but their real gift is motivating and coercing other lizards to follow their commands.

This will probably be my first complete infantry unit for the Venusian campaign.

Finally, I mentioned previously how small the Wargames Atlantic figures are. So. Very. Small. (true 28mm vs heroic or 32mm) Still, they are inexpensive, with 24 figures per box, and a unit of skinks wouldn't hurt the lizard cause:

Still need to seal this one.

The color scheme is based very loosely on the real-world red-tailed skink. It's more of a desert color scheme (actually, the color is Vallejo's German Camo Beige) which means, I might swap them in for a unit when the Marine Iguana themed lizards would be out of place too far from the water.

This is another of my many test-paints for this project and will serve as a reference when I knock out 11 more of them. Since only one leader per unit is required, I will make ten more identical to this, and then use a different weapon and/or head for the leader. 

Not pictured are the three remaining French for their rifle unit. They are on the table but in the middle of prep (which sounds like something, but just means I haven't attacked the more obvious mold lines yet).

6 comments:

  1. They all look good to me esp the Not Carthaginians.

    If I'm putting a weak colour like yellow or orange over black, I often start with a friendlier undercoat, white works but sometimes interferes with the colour but a faw sienna or burnt sienna or any yellowish lt brown by any name as a base over the black can really help with yellow (you might get away with a total of 2 coats or may still end up with 2 yellow and the undercoat but its usually worth it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! That's a great suggestion. For undercoat I had tried Hippo Grey and that was only marginally better than black.

      I will try raw sienna or burnt sienna for the next batch as any gain in time by reducing coats is welcome - you would think a solid color and black lines would be quick to knock out! It probably won't solve my issue for touch ups of errant black lines, but I will give it a try just in case!

      Delete
  2. I do like the Tanitians, they look great in their colour scheme and pen work. The red tailed skunk looks like he means business. Looking forward to seeing the first game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing the first game too! My collaborator is moving along on their blue-skinned not-Gauls and he's making some great terrain pieces. I may play some small skirmishes in the meantime with a handful of figures per side once I finish making my own terrain contributions (ultra cheap trees)

      Delete
  3. The Tanitians and lizards look excellent John! The terra cotta warriors especially look imposing in a group! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! It's coming along - although I may have just derailed my progress a bit wiith an idea for a Christmas-themed game for my family and friends!

      Delete