Saturday, August 3, 2024

More Lancieri! (finally)

Well, it took me way too long, but I finally got around to knocking out two more WWI lancieri :


As with the previous two, the heads are provided by Dulcop grenade lobbing arditi. The bodies and horses provided by Armies in Plastic - I believe a set of Egyptian lancers in this case, maybe? 

With these two, I can now field two squadrons for my reduced-base-size One Hour Wargames army:

And this is plenty for the standard OHW force builder (a max of two cavalry).

I am aiming to do some OHW Battle of Pozzuolo del Friuli scenarios (the cavalry played a role in the rearguard as the Italian 3rd Army retreated from the rapidly advancing Germans and Austro-Hungarian forces in 1917) and 1918, Vittorio Veneto (the cavalry pursued the retreating Austrians in the last battle of the Southern Front). 

However, not to be unduly limited by the ruleset, I want to allow for the possibility of fielding a full regiment of 5 squadrons and an MG section.  As it happens, I have the figures on hand, I just need to keep at them. This has the benefit of giving me something to paint without spending anything further.

Those will have to wait for my Blessed Sisters to at least field a "legal" 300pt Grimdark Future: Firefight force (5 models - canoness, sgt, banner, storm rifle, and HMG).

I hope to have all of the above figures (11 models total) finished well before the end of the year.

But that requires deciding on a paint scheme!

8 comments:

  1. The Lancieri look splendid - nice work John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Lancieri looks great!
    Hope to read more about their actions in the Battle of Pozzuolo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on your new cavalry-men John! I love the glossy, toy soldier finish! I look forward to your next WWI battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad! Hoping to get something on the table next weekend.

      Delete
  4. They look marvellous John. You have done a beaut job of converting them and the painting is top notch!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deciding on a paint scheme can sometimes be the hardest part of a fictional force [and occasionally an historical force!]. I finished assembling Titus today - lovely model, dynamic pose - and primed the 'Nids. Next I need to prime Titus and paint my 9 Ultramarines together, and the 20 Termagants and Ripper swarms together.

    ReplyDelete