Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Grass is Always Greener

As mentioned in the previous post, MDF coasters were given a coat of Ceramcoat Green and figures were to be attached with blue tac.

The last part is done and here are my current medieval forces, based for Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames.


The Europeans

The Saracens 

Figures are mostly Deetail. You will notice a general lack of archers on both sides, and levies (as NT classifies them) for the Saracens.

To rectify the Saracen situation,  I have placed an order with The Toy Soldier Co. for this package which includes 36 figures, many of whom are usable as levies, and a kneeling archer pose which will give them at least one base of archers, so the armies will be equal.I will also get a few bases of war camels out of the deal, which isn't necessary for OHW but could be useful with other scenarios.

Eventually, possibly later this month, I will make a play for some European archers to fill out the one base I have. Some day, I suppose, I will try to hit two bases of archers each, and thus  'complete' these armies.

Many of my unused medieval figures from this project will ultimately find their way into my imagined VSF game - at least if I go the G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. route, with its individually based figures - or ,perhaps, some skirmish gaming of a sort.

6 comments:

  1. Apart from the conversion possibilities of the mounted archer, it looks like there is a foot figure with a bow in his case while he waves swords and shield. With 3 of each pose according to the tag, that'll give you 6 archers and if you were to mix in a few sword only guys (officers? archers who have put their bow down?) that should give you a couple of stands on archers.

    I've seen the Crusader equivalent of this pack (blow up copies of Italeri) but never the Saracen one. I'd have bought some 10 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You have some serious eagle-eyes, Ross! I now feel even better about that purchase from the archer perspective. I like that idea of mixing in some sword-only types too to fill the ranks.

      Cheers!
      -John

      Delete
  2. Those plain coasters work really well painted up, where do you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,

      I got them on Amazon (18 for less than $8!): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNAV9RU

      Thanks for stopping by!

      -John

      Delete
  3. Both those armies look fantastic on multi-bases!! I think I will try that sometime too - I just love the look of it, especially with that green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks private w.! Inspired by Morschauser's description of the period as 'shock', I wanted to give the impression of masses of troops. This figure scale on a multi-figure base really brings that out I think.

      -John

      Delete