Monday, November 26, 2018

Shiny Happy Highlanders

The Thanksgiving break gave me a few nights with time to paint and so I happily finished up my 10-figure unit of Armies in Plastic Highlanders.


I think I am most happy about how the flag came out.



Here they are with the lancers:


There's an AIP gatling gun and crew on the paint table now - unfortunately I'm missing the hopper for the gatling gun, so I will have to improvise that.

When that's done I'll have a small force suitable for a small game of G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. (with an undersized cavalry unit) or perhaps In Good Company from Lone Warrior #168. Barring that, there's always some 1:1 skirmishes a la Featherstone's Rules for 'Close Wars'.

Armies in Plastic is having a Christmas sale, and I am tempted to pick up some British infantry to provide another unit or two for this side and possibly a camel unit, just for one figure to act as a main character/hero (in G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. terms) or an overall commander. Using 4-figure infantry units, I could then field a moderate Portable Wargame force or have a more involved battle with the other rules.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I still love the Britain's 5188 I based the color scheme on, but these have stopped my constant ebay daydreaming.

      Delete
  2. They look great. I find painting folded flags a tricky business.

    A unit of standard Brits in knaki everything would be a quick way to add more troops but its worth considering Sudanese/Egyptians able to serve as either "allies" or an enemy for variety and flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross! The flag was maddening!

      My original plan was VSF with non-historical opponents but I rather like the idea of troops that can serve as both opponent and ally in a larger battle. And I see Britain's did some nice Egyptian cavalry to match my lancers.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I love AIP figures, I just haven't had the time or courage to try painting any. They're great for gaming with kids so I don't worry about mangled metal minis, things dropping off the table, and scratched paint jobs. I love AIP's holiday sales; I'm getting ready to make an order to treat myself for Yule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter!

      I think what's great about the AiP figures is there's enough detail if you want to go crazy with buttons and buckles and all that, but they still look OK if you go with a simpler toy soldier approach as well. (I sealed these with Mod Podge and acrylic varnish. They can take quite a beating and not scratch or chip. As I have already learned the hard way.)

      The holiday sale is a really good deal - I think the worst part is deciding what not to get!

      Delete
  4. Nice work on the flag, I always think they are worth putting in the extra effort for because they are the focal point of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian! That's what I kept telling myself while I swore up a storm and touched up the flag repeatedly - each touch up invariably causing the need to touch up one of the other colors :D

      Delete
  5. I think you have captured that Britains / look well that you are aiming for. Some spirited looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one way to stave off the desire for the expensive collectible figures (not entirely mind you. There's just something exciting about a proper Britains toy soldier).

      Delete