Friday, September 6, 2019

ASLSK #1: Getting Deeper into the Water


Last weekend, one night after my son had gone to bed and I was otherwise too worn out by Dragon Con to do much, I worked through three complete turns of the first scenario from the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 in my effort to learn the rules.

Still missed a bunch of things, but I identified much of what I missed at least (residual fire is an interesting concept that my brain was having trouble remembering).

The US paratroopers were giving the Germans quite a wallop when I stopped playing. The picture below is just a small sample (the situation was similar on the rest of the board):






One of the problems the Germans had was my choice of table entry points - next time, I'll try coming in with a different approach.

I also didn't use any smoke grenades - and probably won't even try until I get more rules under my belt - but I think they'd have helped a bit.

Hoping to get another attempt at this scenario in tonight - even if just a few turns again.

5 comments:

  1. Looking again at your Company Fire rules - they are much better than ASL - are you sure you want to be diluting your standards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think MMP is shaking in their boots just yet :D

      That reminds me, I have an updated version of Company Fire I need to post (some minor edits and layout tweaks - like removing the unsightly blank page in the middle - and a few bits to tighten things up and some optional rules added).

      Delete
    2. Any chance of posting your simpler Company Fire version also?

      Delete
    3. I have to get my notes in order (what I had written beforehand was not satisfactory, so it morphed during play) for that but I do plan to post them as soon as I get my act together.

      Delete
    4. I look forward to to seeing them.

      Delete