Thursday, September 12, 2019

G Company (aka Company Fire Lite)

tl;dr new rules available over on the side bar called G Company. I also changed the link for Company Fire to point to the living copy of the rules so they are as up to date as they can be.

First a caveat: these rules have not been play tested thoroughly, but they spring from a previous play test that was an abysmal failure, followed by tweaking during half-a-dozen subsequent games, so I have higher hopes for these out of the gate. Changes may yet follow.

Although it clearly is based on Company Fire, I changed quite a bit  by marrying some of my ideas from CF with inspiration from One Brain Cell Toy Soldiers , a set of rules I played when I first started gaming lo those years ago (After playing quite a number of 1:1 rules since, including expensive professionally produced sets, I think you could do worse for 1:1 WWII games than these). It seemed therefore that a name change was in order: G Company.

Lo-fi test game. The yellow pentagons are disorder markers.The triangles represent artillery targets.
The turn sequence is the same general mechanism as CF -a deck of cards, some of  which are movement, some are fire, and some both. I felt this was absolutely necessary if I were to claim any family resemblance to the former game. I do however allow a card's side to move and fire in the same turn regardless of card drawn, and all of the other side's units have a chance to fire.

Theoretically this increases the amount of shooting, which helps speed things up, as does the increased rates of movement (with some restrictions - I may port this over to CF as I rather prefer it I think). Close combat is automatic between adjacent units regardless of their composition or status, but lone weapons teams and disordered units are still penalized so a bit more deadly there too.

In the name of simplification, I have reduced the number of adjustments and dice to be rolled during shooting and close combat. Group fire in particular requires far less dice.  I also reduced the states a unit can be in from four to three, which helps move things along a little more quickly.

All of the above helps, I think, for it to feel more "cinematic" and game/toy-like rather than an attempt at simulation.

That said, eliminating units easily is still difficult - it is possible to have many of your units become bogged down as disordered.

I just can't get away from the ideas that the nature of this kind of combat is to shoot to force the enemy to hit the dirt - maneuver and  close assault to finish the job and that it's easier to pin the enemy than to kill them with small arms fire.

If it turns out this is too simulationist in play,  I suggest automatically removing disordered markers at the start of each turn (ASLSK removes pin markers at the end of the turn automatically, and that's what gave rise to this idea - since disordered here functions like a traditional pin in other games). This removes the chance that they'll be removed from play at the start of the next turn (which is an intentional possibility to reflect failing morale, wounded men being unable to physically carry on, etc.) and also means they'll be able to advance on the enemy

Or, to increase unit removal if you think they're sticking around too long, you could adjust the unit status table - say 3 or less is removal, 4-5 is disordered, and 6+ is good order - which more closely aligns with the odds to recover in the 1BC Toy Soldier rules linked above (just flipped a bit).

As in CF, vehicles are included more as a necessary evil than a design focus.

The intent is to provide quick infantry games that feel WWII-ish and reward good tactics, but  something far less complicated than CF. To make things more "toy soldiery", tanks are tanks - I don't worry about heavy or light, or front vs side or rear armor or anything like that. Even LOS is greatly simplified. However, the rules are simple enough to modify if you want heavy tanks to be different from your medium tanks.

But you probably want to play a different game if you're really into vehicles and I am not offended if you do.

I purposely left out lots of explanatory material - nothing on mines or bocage (which I only added in the first place because I needed them for games I was playing) and at just four pages, the rules function as their own QRS.

Hopefully, for anyone who has played a wargame before, making any judgement calls about grey areas won't be too difficult and any missing bits, especially for mines (which I've never settled upon) and terrain, can be grabbed from CF if necessary.

And of course, as if it needs to be said, feel free to hack these up to suit your vision as needed.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your G company rules. I will give them a go over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know if there's anything that needs clarification. In my effort to strip this down, I may have left out things that I just assume while playing.

      Delete
  2. This looks really interesting and might work for me as I have base-mounted WWII units as well as a gridded surface (plus terrain, etc.). I'll have to try it when I finish some Panzergrenadier units on the work table.

    That said, reading through the rules I have one thought regarding the status check. Seems like a unit that is disordered from a combat hit can then be removed next turn either during the status check or if hit again. Maybe I'm seeing the status check at the beginning of the turn as a chance to "rally" disordered units and not a double-edged sword where they might rally or become removed from play. Makes sense they can be elminated from a hit but not from a beginning-of-turn morale check. Just my first impressions. Otherwise I'll try to field a game this coming week...good incentive to finish up my Panzergrenadiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading them, Peter.

      You are correct, it's possible to lose a disordered unit right at the top of the turn. My thought was that the check is a combination rally/how badly wounded are we? and that maybe the unit was in worse shape than it realized (wounded or whatnot), even though it fought on in the previous turn after being disordered.

      Playing solo as I do, I found it frustrating when it happened (or at the very least surprising as it threw a wrench in my plans), but I chalked it up to the fortunes of war. Still, I can see that it does seem like a harsh penalty - especially if they are disordered at the end of the previous turn by close combat and have to check again immediately at the start of the next.

      A couple of ideas come to mind immediately - one, which I mention in my long rambling post above, is to remove the disordered markers automatically at the end of the turn (a la Blitzkrieg Commander 1st ed., or the way ASLSK handles pins). The PL/CC would still be incredibly handy when units are under fire and for close combat - maybe more so, which isn't a bad thing since it might force them to move between squads more often.

      Another option that occurred to me is that maybe at the start of the turn, if a disordered unit rolls combat ineffective, they can retreat one space, if possible, and stay disordered, rather than be removed (borrowing an idea from Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame iterations).

      I'll have some time tonight to try those and some other options and I'll post if there are any rules changes as a result.

      Thanks!

      - John

      Delete
  3. I admit I skimmed the post and went right to the game text! I think what bothers me hit you in play: the unit is already disordered, but to lose it first thing in a turn is frustrating (in addition to the usual frustration of battlefield events). Of the options you propose I like the "retreat" (or perhaps "displace"?) option better; wiping disordered markers clean at the beginning of the turn seems to give disordered units a constant pass. In my head I thought the status roll (or perhaps a "rally" roll?) could remove the disordered marker on a roll of 5+ with modifiers, otherwise the unit remains disorderd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely try that option. For some reason when I was brain-storming earlier, I was thinking I'd have to create a whole new status check table or mess with the modifiers to get that result (no removal, either stay disordered or become in good order again), even though it requires no more than adding a sentence. Don't know why my brain couldn't see that! Thanks!

      Delete