Monday, September 21, 2020

Campaigns and Starting with Earth

Packing continues for my move - but I have kept my khaki Brits out as I hope to finish them before I move.

Cutting-in complete. Remaining: touching up the boots, finishing the bayonets, and painting the bases. Then I can seal and varnish. And yes, that's Gary the Snail.

Thought and internal debate on a Victorian-era campaign continues apace, with nothing to show for it but reams of illegible hand-written notes and sketchy maps as I explore the various options. 

Seeking inspiration and perhaps a voice from the heavens saying "Do it like this!", here is RPG, setting designer, and one of my favorite podcasters, Kenneth Hite, discussing  his "Start with Earth" game design mantra:

This goes a good deal bit further and far afield than I care to go for a solo campaign primarily intended to generate tabletop battles with at least historical looking figures, none the less, lot's of things to think about.

If you're even a remote fan of roleplaying games and oddball history, and you are not a listener of Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff, I highly recommend it.

 

2 comments:

  1. It’s good to see that you are trying other periods. I think the last time was your medieval stint which may I say was great fun to read about and look at. As much as I would like to branch out from my WW2 game, I am hesitant to begin a new period or even WW2 theater. It might give me a shot in the arm if only to have the pleasure of planning and creating new friends. At the moment I am messing around with paint types and methods after watching too many YouTube videos where immensely talented people show up my ham fisted efforts. I love it when they talk about ‘mistakes’ and the models look ten times better than I turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, a new theater of WW2, let alone a new era, allows a break from painting feldgrau!

      My very first war games campaign was in 15mm, and featured French Foreign Legion, Franco-Prussian War-era Prussians, and lizard people fighting over an imaginary island named Helvetica. In some ways, this planned campaign is a return to that spirit - I know virtually nothing of the era, and so imagination is free to run wild.

      Delete